Thursday, April 2, 2015
Almost Easter, Time to Plan for Next Year?
In just a few days it will be Easter. This is just another reminder how fast the year is going. But this post is not to lament that fact. It's a bit of an eclectic brain dump that I am in need of here. So many things to consider as we try to make plans for our next school year.
First of all, number one son is in the home stretch of his first year in a public school. He is thinking hard about finishing at home next year. The only thing keeping him from that decision is jazz band. He has grown as a musician this year through his involvement in the public school band program. He was even inspired to get a saxophone for his birthday, and is moving right along in that endeavor. He is also working on his piano skills, because as he tells it, the piano is where music is written. He takes his SAT next month. That will probably help him to make the decision. He is so bored by the public school's inefficiencies. Dual college credit is a possibility if he leaves public school next year.
Secondly, my youngest has expressed a desire to go to the middle school next year, just to "see what it is like." Well, we can guess what it is like from our high school experience, but he can't seem to get it out of his mind. What I would love is to find an affordable class or two for him to take somewhere. There are homeshcool classes around, but they are expensive. I am praying for guidance.
Third, our current homeschool year is quickly winding down. We only need 40 more days. I have loved our studies this year, Sonlight 20th Century World History. It's time to think about next year. I am not sure who will be home next year, so it is hard to plan for certain. It is impossible, when I think about all the combinations! So, I am just in a waiting mode. I am waiting on the Lord to show me where to go next. I could have 3 scholars or 1 or 2! See my problem? It will all get straightened out sooner or later. We are also waiting on the high school to see what classes my oldest could take if he stays. He is not going to stay if they will not let him take advanced courses.
As for the one scholar who will certainly be home, well, she is the challenging one who loves to read, create, serve others, and hates all things math and science. That doesn't add up to a Core 40 high school diploma, so we may have issues next year with biology, geometry, and a foreign language to tackle. She wants to be a mom. I want her to be a mom. But is that God's plan? We don't know. We need her to be prepared for other possibilities. It is hard when they get to be 10th grade and graduation is looming nearer.
Slow down time, cries my heart!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The season we are in makes me yearn for the elementary days. Sigh, they must grow up.
ReplyDeleteYes, let's go back to those simple days! But then when we were there, they seemed hard, too!
DeleteEvery season is challenging in a good way. I made our initial plan today.
DeleteSounds like a lot of difficult decision to be made. As you seek, the Lord will guide, I'm confident of that. Wishing you all the best. Heather
ReplyDeleteThank you, Heather. I will just have to be patient. :)
DeletePraying you have peace and patience as you wait to see where the Lord leads your family.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your prayers, Wendi. I need peace and patience in abundance!
DeleteHang in there friend, Like you said it will all straighten out by the time you need a decision made.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jeannie! I have always been the type who wants my ducks in a row far in advance of what the Lord seems fit to allow!
DeleteI remember all the these feelings! Just a thought for your oldest...do you have a community college close by? Dual enrollment will allow him to take more challenging classes as he can test out of the required ones and move forward. During the hard middle school years ( hard because of my very social children...) we found a thriving co op that had lots of different classes as well as social events. The kids enjoyed it and made life time friends, were challenged with different teachers ( homeschool mom and dads), and in the long haul appreciated it. The kids were also on a homeschool swim team and community soccer team. It is a very hard balance once we depart from elementary school! If I had to do it over again: ( remember I am finished with this part of the journey) Less stress. More hands on real life learning. More social and group activities. And the big one.....less planning. I was so type A. Must have all my ducks in a row...ect. Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteYep, all those decisions are so hard. I'm sure the Lord will continue to guide you and help you all decide what is best for each child as an individual. :)
ReplyDelete