Saturday, April 11, 2015

Things Always Work Out




Here we are, at the last Saturday work day before tax season is over! I am pretty excited to soon have our family time back.  Looking back, it doesn't seem so bad, but in the thick of things, it was so hard.  Next week, we  may even get a couple extra days off, maybe.  Actually, he will probably just work from home a couple days, and not as many hours, because he is a manager now, and they are never totally off.   That is almost like time off.  



As for the questions of what to do this coming school year, those are sorting themselves out.  My oldest went back to school after spring break, and had a chat with his band leader.  It seems that if Ryan wants to, he can be in 6 bands next year.  Of course he wants to, so he went to see his guidance counselor and they set him up to take concert band (which includes marching and pep bands), beginning jazz for saxophone, advanced jazz band for guitar, and a combo jazz band.  That young man is going to spend a lot of time in the band room!  He is also going to take physics, AP literature, combined calculus/trig honors,and US history. I think it was a good decision.  I could not make it for him, and I would have supported him coming back home or going to community college.  I am thankful that we found such a good music program at our small local high school.  It's just a small town high school.  Who would have thought?  


My youngest is also going off to school, 8th grade, at the public school.  He wants to go, and we can't think of any reasons to keep him home, if he really wants to go.  We are calling it his "rumspringa" after the Amish children who get to go off and taste what the world has to offer before joining the church.  He will see that public school is not all that it seems to be or maybe it will be a good fit.


My daughter will be home, and we will be working on making 10th grade a great year.  One of my hopes is to find a place nearby to volunteer together.  I am thinking about our options, like an animal shelter or nursing home.  I can't believe that she will be 16 this summer!  I have a lot of planning to do on her behalf.  I also need to locate all the books that we already have from when my oldest was home educated.  

My world is going to be so different next school year.  I know there are some who might not agree with our decisions, especially in my homeschool friend pool.  I think it is best to look at each individual child and decide what best fits their unique needs when making school decisions.  I also do not think public schools are all that great, unless you can use them to your advantage, like band. I cannot provide band at home.  In addition, as much as I try, I cannot keep them home forever.  I have to let them test their wings, especially my young men.  They are going to be in the world supporting their families one day. My daughter, well, she doesn't need that exposure, so I am glad she wants to be home sweet home.  Above all, I am grateful to the Lord's leading us.  I truly feel this is His will.  




9 comments:

  1. You keep on caring for your children and putting their real needs first, Jenn. That's what we parents are supposed to be doing, not pleasing other people and meeting their goals. Is that first picture of your house? It is beautiful!

    Enjoy the slower pace of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seasobs of life bring decisions and making the decisions that are best for your children are what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as your children are safe and secure, learning and content that is all that matters. Not matter what decisions you make there will always be someone that doesn't agree with it. I am happy that decisions were made so that you could finalize plans.

    Yay for the end of tax season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great that you have directions for next year. To me the hardest part is always the 'wondering' what will happen. Now that you know where the kids are going, you can prepare. :) Glad your hubby's busy season is just about over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is wonderful that you are letting each child get a education where he/she fits best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the comment of "The queen!": It is beautiful you are letting each child get a education, where he fits best. Let's trust our Lord in this. He is our Shelter, also in the hard days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your continued prayers for my situation. We are still struggling but the prayers are helping us through the hard times. I'm glad that things are working out for you and schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also trying to figure out what to do for next year. Joseph will return to private high school - he started the year off rough, but grew to love it. I'm praying for the Lord to reveal his will for my girls. Necessity may cause me to put them in school next year - time will tell, and I know that God has a plan. Maybe one day I'll be able to blog about our tough year...but right now the Lord is directing me towards privacy. (We could use much prayers though)
    Praying for your family as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails