Monday, March 11, 2013

Almost a Year Later

It's hard to believe that my sweet Abbey Cat has been gone almost a whole year.

Look at that girl stretch!  
My lap has been a very lonely place since that day in April last year.  Quickly, maybe too quickly, we invited Dorothy into our home, just two days after Abbey left us.  Sometimes I do wish we had taken a little more time with that decision, although, I love her and would not want her to be with someone else.  I mean, who can resist her beautiful face?  It would not have mattered what cat we got in that moment of grief.  I was in no place ready to move on.  Perhaps it is just now that I feel like I can really love another cat.

While Dorothy is the best cat, behavior-wise, she isn't a lap cap.  She is easily over stimulated by our touch and will swipe you with a claw filled paw if you cross her line.  It doesn't hurt much physically, just emotionally.  I feel rejected at those times.  I have tried everything, food bribes, sweet talk, gentleness, time.  She just isn't a lap cat.  And she is easily frightened.  I wonder if she was mistreated?  What she is is a playful, entertaining, beautiful, sweet, affectionate,good, but better keep your hands to yourself cat!  And we do love her.  I think she is perfect, except for that one little thing of not liking laps.

My dear, gracious husband has given his consent for me to find my lap cat.  (Oh, how I love that man!)  Even before Abbey passed away, I had been visiting Siamese Cat Rescue's webpage regularly.  I knew she was not going to live forever.  However when she died, I didn't want to go through the lengthy process of approval.  And we found Dorothy so quickly!  (She is part Siamese,distantly.  Her blue eyes make her part Siamese. The vet called her a Lynx Point/Snowshoe.)

Last week, we were approved to adopt a cat from The Siamese Cat Rescue.  I feel as if this is a dream come true!  Of course now that we are approved, there are not any cats that match our special needs since we already have a quirky cat and that dictates the kind of cat we can adopt. We think we have the best chance with her approving the cat if it is male, young, and outgoing.  For me, I must have a lap cat or burst.  (Not kidding!) So we are looking for a young male who is laid back, outgoing, and loves laps.  

So far we are finding it a very competitive process, too. I think there are many more adopters than cats.  That is true of this geographical area anyway.  There are only 6 cats in our area.  Two are very sick from a hoarder and not available.  One might be perfect except he hates other cats.  One, while my heart goes out to him, is very old.  One is not a lap cat, but otherwise very nice.  He has another family in line before us and he is in KY.  The other is maybe too shy and a bit older, 5.  I am waiting to hear about him.  He also has a family ahead of us.  He could work if Dorothy's playfulness didn't bother him.  He may need a more relaxed cat to buddy with.

Anyway, I am not going to stress or worry. Our guy is there,somewhere!  I have to keep my eye on the website as it is first come, first serve.  This may take awhile. Stay tuned.

~Jenn, the cat crazy blogger

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I know you are seriously going to burst if you don't find a buddy soon. Just don't settle for less than what you really want, else you will have to kittys tearing up the house and neither one wanting to sit on your lap, wouldn't that be sad? DD is a lovely cat and I hope you find her a purrfect brother soon. We have 3 cats ya know, and none of them do laps, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if I am a dog person, I understand how hard it is to fill the spot of a loved pet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get the cat you are looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I understand! In our family of felines we have one very snuggly lap baby,two that like to just sit next to you, and one who loves only on her terms. My favorite is my lap baby. Praying for a perfect match for both you and Dorthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly hope you find a cat who loves it to cuddle. Frightened animals are often mistreated. Who knows how soon you find a sweet cat.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails