Friday, September 7, 2012

This Week At Home, 2012, Week No. 35

Notes written about our days...

* Just a little side note here to take a moment to talk about why I blog.  I'm a busy homeschooling mom.  I don't have time to blog, but wait!  If I don't record the details of our lives, I will forget them.  So, I make the effort to write down little things that I want to remember, and then I invite others to read them.  That's the weird part!  :-) 



Monday...

It's Labor Day, and Jeff is still with us at home.  I've been on the couch sick with a cold for a few days.  It feels like a full blown sinus infection and I have zero energy, well almost.  I did manage to drag myself into the kitchen to make us a big pan of tasty lasagna.  Really, I am feeling better each day, but not my normal self.

I spent today on the couch reading a great book, French Kids Eat Everything.  That's a whole other topic for another time, but if I could go back in time to do it all over, I'd work harder to have better eaters!  *sigh* 

Life was not all bad today, Jeff and Ryan went out to play 18 holes of disc golf and stopped at the store for more fruit.  We're always out of fruit.  The most exciting part of our day was watching Deep Space Nine episodes.  The house is starting to get on my nerves, too.  No one is interested in cleaning, least of all me. I think I have the end of vacation blues setting in... 



Tuesday...

It's time to get us all back to work.  Jeff is missed today.  I am feeling better, able to do what I need to do, but still gravitating to the couch when those things are done. I feel so weak and am congested. 

The kids and I do a full load of our lessons.  I am so thankful that we can jump back into our work without much fuss.  Plus, they are super motivated today.  They want their two friends to come over when they are done.  That also gets me housekeeping minions.  The younger two spend an hour getting the house dusted, vacuumed, and tidy.  I direct from the couch.  

Grace resumes art class tonight.  I'm excited to see what this season brings.  I enjoyed all she made last year. 

Disc golfer! 


Wednesday...

Woke up feeling much the same as yesterday, yucky, so I decided to haul myself to the doctor.  Since I've not been sick long enough, there was nothing he could do.  I wore myself out for nothing.  I should have known better.  I usually wait it out, but I didn't feel like waiting longer.  Oh well.  On the way home, I got us bread, which we were out of, and picked up a library book hold for the kids' schooling.  Back at home, I decided to heed my doctor's advice and lay low, including not going to AWANA, which I hated because our crew is light this year.  We have 7 girls each!  We don't even all fit at the table. 

Our camping trip for the weekend with our small group was canceled today.  The weather is going to be rainy at the park we chose.  Bummer.  We need the rain, so I won't complain, too much, although, we did get 3/8ths of an inch already today!  It was a beautiful rain, much appreciated.


Thursday...

Another book came available, this time for me, so I went back to the library between morning lessons and lunch.  I figured this way I'd have something to read this afternoon while resting.  I feel better, but get exhausted easily, so I spent a lot of time reading this afternoon.  I am surprised that I got the book at all as it was just released this week.  I must have been first on the list at the library!  More about the book later. So far I like it and find it inspiring. 

Tonight is karate for the kids and Jeff is going to get groceries for us.  He's such a great guy.  (Thank you, Honey!) 

How does she sleep like this? 

Ryan in his usual posture. 



Friday...

It's Friday!!!  We made it through this rougher, but short week.  I feel almost human again, too.  Yay!  We don't normally do lessons on Friday, but since we were off on Monday, we need this school day to count. 

Let's talk school a moment.  For one, I am happy with attitudes, mostly.  There are still tears with math from the 7th grader.  But for the most part, everyone is doing a good job having happy hearts. 

We started two good books this week, Out of Many Waters and The King's Fifth.  I read Out of Many Waters aloud in the morning and we all listen to the audio CD of The King's Fifth in the evening. 

All this great reading got me to thinking about my own childhood.  I loved books and was always reading, but I don't remember reading books like the ones we are reading, living books.  In school, we didn't read a lot of books.  The books I chose for pleasure reading would not stand the test of time, except the Little House series.  Textbooks and workbooks were my steady educational diet.  (Boring!)  I love the literature that we are devouring these days. 

A battle from Trevor

Well, it's been a week, that's for certain.  I am thankful for so many things this week, a husband who takes care of us, kids who can help when needed, the freedom to rest when I needed, and a body that can heal itself! 

Until next time,
Jenn

9 comments:

  1. I hate sinus infections and so sorry you've been suffering with one. We too have had a hard time getting back into the swing of things and I need to get with it as we have guests coming to stay overnite!
    Your kitty is adorable and yes, how does it sleep like that?!
    Blessings and have a peace filled weekend as you recup!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you have been so sick. Praying for you to keep getting better. It sounds like a productive week despite the couch time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds, and looks, like a great week. So glad you are feeling better, what a blessing. I hope you have a great weekend also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww..poor thing. I can't stand the yucky feeling when you have to do everything. You know?

    Sounds like you made the best of it and it was a good week despite the bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, I hope you are feeling much better this weekend and will back to normal next week. It's so difficult to carry on with our plans when we don't feel well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far so good sickies have not hit my place as of late.. but I am sure it will be since school is back in session..

    Good thing your better.. you gotta up your game at disc golfing to beat your kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get energy back soon. You're a busy mom, it's good that you sometimes take time to blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenn. I hope you are feeling back to yourself today (Monday), and I hope this is a better week for you. Does DD always sleep like that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you aren't well. We've had our share of colds and ear/sinus infections here recently as well. Praying you feel better soon.

    I love that pic of your cat. Isn't it amazing how flexible they are and how they choose to sleep? I just wish mine wouldn't sleep on my pillow right in my face!

    I'm glad you have happy attitudes about school. Things haven't been such smooth sailing here. I'm feeling a little spread thin.



    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails