![]() |
| A favorite vantage point. |
Monday...
The drought and heatwave continues. I'm starting to dread another hot week of high nineties and one hundreds. I've decided to put some effort into getting through this season without dread and lots of complaining. One thing we are going to do is to get outside early in the morning.
Today, we went to a park. It was already in the mid-80's and humid, but it wasn't too bad. We walked around our favorite path and then took our shoes off to walk through the water feature. We ended up at the park for over an hour. It was just what we needed. We'll go again and try to go earlier.
![]() |
| Swamp Rose-Mallow |
After the park, we took showers and then got to work on our math. We'd not picked them up in a week and it showed! Thankfully, we got it done without too much trouble. (Love Math U See!)
I then made a batch of hummus for lunch. Trevor and I love hummus for lunch. We went a bit crazy over this batch because I've not made any in too long. My it was good!
Because we were out this morning, I don't feel so bad that we are inside all afternoon trying to avoid the hot sun. There was much to be done inside. Cleaning never ends!
![]() |
| Horsey time with noodles! |
Tuesday...
We escaped to my mom's pool in the morning to try to beat the extreme heat. The water temperature was perfect. We had the whole pool to ourselves! I am so glad we were there early. The high temperature ended up being 101, breaking the record, again.
We're starting to really miss Ryan. He's having a great time with grandparents, though, so I try not to dwell on missing him. Although, it makes me think about a time coming when I will no longer be a daily part of his life and that breaks my mommy heart! How do you do it?
![]() |
| Baby loves her chair! |
Wednesday...
Another hot day ahead. Unfortunately, it is too hot and muggy to go out this morning. I went out to water my tomatoes and refill the bird bath, and wanted to be back inside quickly. The air felt heavy and unpleasant! This drought and heat wave is really getting OLD.
We still have some birthday party shopping to do today. There is a big 13th birthday on Saturday to get ready for. She wants a "tea" theme. Right now we are looking for an indoor activity, since it is to hot even for water fun in the afternoons. And there are water use restrictions too.
This evening is a cook out and concert at church. I am thinking the heat is going to make that a challenge, but good fellowship and worship are worth it. (Update: We didn't go! Ryan came home earlier than expected and he was too tired to go, and we didn't want to be without him, so we stayed home and enjoyed a family night.)
The big news of the day is that it rained two tenths of an inch! Woo hoo! We are still needing so much more, but a little is appreciated, if only for a psychological lift!
![]() |
| Breakfast or dessert? |
![]() |
| Beautiful rain! |
Thursday...
The big push is on to get all the stuff we need for the birthday girl's party. So off we went early to another craft store and then onto the grocery stores, but wait, what is that dark sky? Is it going to rain? Yes! It rained another quarter of an inch, making our two day total half an inch!!!
The rest of our day was pretty quiet. We worked on spelling and math a little. I did laundry and dishes as usual. I checked the radar on the hour to see if any storms were popping up. (I am a little weather obsessed at the moment.)
![]() |
| Surviving, but not producing. |
Friday...
We woke up to clouds, sprinkles, and cooler temperatures! So, back to the park we went for another go around the pond. What a lovely treat. It was 73 degrees when we got to the park. When we got home it was 69! My kind of weather!
It's not all about fun today. The big goal is to get the house clean and bake the cupcakes. I also need to practice making icing roses. It's been awhile.
The guys have extra special plans tonight, so we girls are having a pre-birthday mother/daughter celebration on our own.
Saturday is Grace's party with friends. Sunday we will go to worship and then spend our time in the afternoon just hanging out together.
![]() |
| Live long and prosper! |









Sounds and looks like a great week. Glad you finally got some rain. Happy Birthday to Grace. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it is hot...day after day after day. That one day when it got down to 69 was pretty special, I even felt chilly.
ReplyDeleteI've never tried hummus, I've heard of it before, but have never investigated it. I might have to give it a try with your high recommendations. :)
Sorry, I don't know how to handle children that grow up, ours keep growing too and I don't know how to stop them.
LOL - love that last pic!
ReplyDeleteThis drought is really something, isn't it? Our poor little garden is very stunted this year. We'll be lucky if we get enough to make a jar of salsa.
I hope you all stay cool!
Michelle