Saturday, March 17, 2012

Next Year's Books


It's that wonderful time of the year when next year's books start to arrive!  They are all crisp and new, with so much promise.  (Well, not all new, but close!)

Here is what we've decided to use, so far.


Trevor, age in August, 10, 5th grade 
Grammar:  Abeka (finishing book A, should be in book B by midterm)
Spelling:  Spelling Wisdom, book one  (This is new for us.) 
Science: Exploring Creation, Zoology, part 3
Math:  Math U See Epsilon (just started, so may finish midterm)
History/Reading:  Sonlight Core H, second part of World History
Music:  children's choir at church
PE:  archery, homeschool gym, karate
Bible:  Sunday school and AWANA


Grace, age in August, 13, 7th grade
Grammar/Writing:  Young Ladies Course in Writing
Spelling:  Spelling Wisdom
Science Exploring Creation, Zoology, part 3
Math:  Teaching Textbooks, finishing 6, starting 7 soon
History/Reading:  Sonlight Core H, second part of World History
Art:  Indy Drawing School
Dance:  Instep Dance Ministry at church
PE:  archery, homeschool gym, karate
Bible:  Sunday school and youth group
*Grace also works in the nursery at church, faithfully each week.  I need to count this as Child Development or something!  


Ryan, age in August, 14, 9th grade
English 1 (Lifepac)
World History, part 2 (Sonlight & Steam's of Civilazation)
Geoghraphy (Lifepac)
Math U See Algebra 1 (already started this, so might start Geometry around Christmas)
Latin 1 (Getting Started in Latin by Linney)
PE:  archery, karate, other classes offered at community center)
Literature (tied into history)
Computer (Language C) Coding (online class)
Bible:  Sunday school and youth group

I will be looking for some fine arts options for Ryan.  He might just take an art class or pottery at the community center.  He's also expressed interest in photography. 

Thankfully, the big high school question has been dealt with.  The principal and I will be working on record keeping this summer.  I want to get our system in place.  Jeff and Ryan are working on a blog together as well.  They want to encourage others that it is possible to homeschool highschool.  I'll get a link when it is all ready for you.  :-)

This summer, I want to keep the kids working on their math at least 3 times a week.  We will also be working on spelling, the younger two.  For Ryan, I want to get him a logic class to do this summer or maybe health as an elective.

It's all very exciting and yet, makes me think summer will fly by!

Thanks for reading!
~Jenn

***Update, we bought a French immersion computer program yesterday!  All will get a chance to learn at their own pace.  (Not Rosetta Stone, too $$$)

12 comments:

  1. Good plan Jenn. I like the either Alpha Omega LifePacs or ACE/School of Tomorrow Paces in that they build a little indpendence for the child and take some pressure off the mom. Amber really likes her ACE Economics & U.S. Civics that she is doing this year. I would have liked to have taught them, but I just can't do everything, and overall, I think this route was best for both of us. I won't even begin to plan next year until we get past Amber's graduation open house -- that will be wierd, just teaching Anna, and Amber working on her home business. I love BOX DAY! The smell of all those crisp new books. I miss that. BTW, will you be wanting to sell your Zoology II book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Box day is always so much fun. So glad you are set for high school. It really is a blessed time to be homeschooling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting!!!!! Nothing like having all the ducks in a row early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for box day, and those look like some wonderful choices! I'm really looking forward to your high schooling blog - as I'm a bit nervous about it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you and deciding to homeschool through highschool!! I graduated both my boys and it's the best decision I ever made. I see so many homeschoolers put their highschoolers in school and it ends up being a bad thing. I thought highschool was actually easier than the earlier grades. =D I loved getting those boxes of books...miss those homeschooling days.

    Keeping you in prayer! God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, box day!!!! I've been starting to put my order together for K to. He's heading into grade 8 this fall and I can't wait to get my sonlight box in the mail :) It's always good to be ahead of the game *grin*. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many books! Here in the Netherlands there are not many homeschooling families. I think because there is so much variation in education. All schools are free and we have no government schools.

    Have a fine week! ( I love your profiel - about me -picture )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn, I always LOVED the day that the new schoolbooks arrived! They were so new and fresh. I was excited for school to begin. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for Box Day! We are going back to Sonlight & MFW for next year. (MFW 2nd grade) and Sonlight (2 cores) for my High School girls.

    ....off to sleep again. It's all that we have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. I am in my planning stage still. I may be bringing my daughter back home from school so I am in much researching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful. I'm so glad you got your highschool under control!

    (((Big hugs))) on your sad day today! May God turn the sadness to good for you and your relatives.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails