Friday, November 18, 2011

This Week At Home, Week No. 44


Monday:
A normal day for us.  I got to walk with my friend again at the gym while the kids had their class.  They really enjoy this class. 

We started a new book, Beyond the Desert Gate, by Mary Ray.  I can already tell that the kids are very interested in this story set in Palistine 69 AD.  I am getting used to the sad, hard luck stories that I used to avoid.  My reading tends to be of the happy, inspiring nature, if left to myself.  I always look ahead in a book so that I can prepare myself for the worst!  This book is no exception.  The father dies in chapter 5!  Ugh. 

Tuesday:
Home today except for a quick trip to Star Bucks with Grace for a mommy-daughter date.  (I got a tall skinny peppermint mocha, 100 calories.)  We brought Bibles and worked on her AWANA.  Sweet moments! 

I felt the tug of being lazy big time today.  I don't want to rebel against my cleaning routine.  I must fight this urge to skip cleaning this afternoon. When will I ever just learn to do my work and move on? Lots of you will not understand this struggle.  You make a list and do it EVERY SINGLE WEEK.  I look for ways out of the list.  But not today!  I made myself a big bucket of soapy stuff and went to work on the bathrooms.  Turned out to take so much less time than I worry about it.  Especially because it is getting done every week.  Momentum is on my side!


Wednesday:
Grace had another new friend over to play in the afternoon after lessons. I got to chat with her mama.  They are a homeschooling family with 7 kids, only 5 in the home still.  The youngest is not yet one.

My list said that I needed to detail the kitchen from top to bottom for its weekly washing, so I got that done right before lunch.  The laundry was brought up and put away, too.

Grace and Trevor had baptism class while AWANA is going on.  They are going to be baptized in two weeks.  I am so excited!  I joined them for the class while my AWANA girls are in game time. I got to hear their testimonies.  Very precious! 

Thursday:
Another social opportunity today.  Grace is going to her friends' home and their brother is coming here to hang out with my boys.  Plus there is choir for Trevor, karate for the other two, and I have bunco this evening. Oh my!  Thankfully, I got  groceries in the morning before lessons.  Not all lessons got done, either.  I'll do read alouds tomorrow.  The past few weeks I have been splitting our work between Thursday and Friday.  It helps me get my groceries done and cleaning gets done a lot better, too.

I am struggling with my attitude about buying groceries again.  I always feel so poor after I go.  Is it my imagination or is everything going up in price again?  My anxiety level goes up when I think about Thanksgiving here and all that means we will have to buy even with some people bringing things. 

I decided to pick myself up and read again this great post at The Legacy of Home, called Despairing Over the Household Allowance.  Mrs. White always has some encouraging words and good advice. 

Friday:  Finish strong! This is my motto day.  We must finish all that we did not get to yesterday.  Some neighbor kids may come to play after school.  And we get to be home tonight and relax.

This weekend:
Jeff's dad and step-mom are coming for lunch on Saturday.  It will be good to see them.  Sunday is a usual Sunday for us and Trevor has choir practice.

With next week being a holiday week, I think we will only have lessons on Monday and Tuesday.  That will help with getting ready for Thursday's hoopla.

Thanks for dropping by!
Jenn

11 comments:

  1. Oh, do not despair. I do understand the feeling, and suffered through it for years. It's not worth it, though.

    You need to eat. I know you are frugal, not wasteful. So just go for it and buy your food cheerfully with the money God provides.

    After all, God feeds the little sparrows, and will He not feed you?

    ((hugs)

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your get'r done attitude Jenn. Yes, I think grocerys are going up, daily. Another reason to step up my garden next year. Have fun with family on Saturday. What are your Thanksgiving plans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isnt it crazy how healthy food is so expensive now in stores... like Jane I too want to get stepped up in the garden aspect next year...

    And like Annie Kate.. Dont DESPAIR God provides :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, every time I go grocery shopping I feel as though I am a bad steward....even though it is food. I must remember that it is food and we need it. Even with a freezer full of meat the groceries still cost a lot.
    I need to jump on the household cleaning bandwagon but it just seems impossible right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not the only one who tries to "avoid" her household duty schedule. I've had been doing that too, but I'm doing better with the Lord and Hubby's help.

    No, it's not just you. Prices in the grocery stores are going-up. I usually do all my shopping at Wal-Mart. For two people, I used to be able to spend under $100.00, but now, it's more than that, ugh! I try not to worry about it, and if things get really bad, I know how to make something decent from rice, beans, and potatoes. :)

    At any rate, it sounds like you have been quite busy. Take care Dear Friend, and try not to get too stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good week. I feel like that grocery shopping too sometimes. Thankful that the Lord is always with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel discouraged after going shopping too. It doesn't help that food prices continue to rise.
    I've been avoiding the hard luck stories too. I need 'happy' stories right now.
    Sounds like you're 'busy at home'!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Grace is becoming so social!! :) Goodness, she does not seem like the same girl that she was when I first got to know you. (5 years ago, can you believe that???) So grown up now. :) Yes, food prices are going up. It's not your imagination. I've been reading some news articles about it. That is one of the reasons we are getting into gardening as much as we are. I want to learn how to raise our own food before we HAVE to know if you know what I mean. I don't want to be stuck unprepared. Right now it's not saving us money, but I know it will in the long run. Have a good week.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh we have read that book! Enjoyed it!
    I too suffer from guilt after shopping...ends just are not meeting ( at least on paper but I can share story after story how the bills are met each month!) and it seems we spend so much at the grocery store. However I am using coupons and squeezing 2 meals out of every cut of meat. I think a garden is in order at our home next year also.
    Love your new background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww... a fun mommy-daughter date at Starbucks! We enjoy that, too :)

    And yes, our groceries are getting more expensive.

    Have a blessed week and a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn,

    I've noticed that the prices of food are going up and the package sizing getting smaller. I have to keep my eyes on the sales and then buy what I can then.

    Your week sounds wonderful. Lots of visiting with family and friends.

    Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails