Merriam Webster defines busy as :
a : engaged in action : occupied b : being in use busy>
2
: full of activity : bustling busy seaport>
4
: full of distracting detail busy design>
Thankfully, I can eliminate the "foolishly or intrusively active" definition from my life, but the others fit, especially this week before a major holiday. It is time to take a deep breath and get to work. Another praise is that I have been faithfully cleaning my house the last several weeks, so this is not going to be as hard as it could have been. And I am not doing ALL the cooking. (Praise God!)
This is my plan inspired by Like Mother, Like Daughter's recent post on how to get ready for Thanksgiving.
Monday...
We still have gym,dance, and a full day of lessons. In between all this, I am going to get the laundry all caught up and put upstairs to be put away before bed. Then, I am going to work on the non-public areas. They are mostly tidy, I will just vacuum, dust and swipe down the two upstairs bathrooms.
Tuesday...
No school today or for the rest of the week! After a walk at the park with my walking buddy, I will make a grocery run for last minute items. I'll keep the kids busy with making a banner to hang in the dining room, name cards, and things like vacuuming the stairs, getting cobwebs down, and sweeping the front porch area. They may decide they would rather do school. *grins*
Wednesday...
Today I will make ahead as much of the food as possible. I will also clean the guest areas of our home. We have church tonight, too.
Here are the foods I am responsible for: gravy, rolls, macaroni (homemade), sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn pudding, fruit, a cake for an uncle's birthday which is Thanksgiving, whipped cream, and drinks/ice.
Thursday...
My biggest concern will be for my attitude! I must remain thankful for a house full of loving family and not resentful of the work. Many, many years I went to someone else's home and now it is my turn to rise to the occasion. Am I really too busy or just blessed?
So, how are you getting ready for the big day?
~Jenn
This song says it well...
This song says it well...

Good Morning, Jenn! Sounds like you have a lovely week upcoming! Our holiday is being spent at home, thanks be to God. We invited hubby's mother down, but she has to work. Today and tomorrow are all about laundry and cleaning the house, wrapping up school lessons and music lessons, and then Wednesday is all kitchen, all day. I'm going to bake pies and chop veg and get as much prep work done as possible. Oh, and make the dressing! Yum!!!!! It's my several-great-grandmother's recipe, and it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. I dried the bread last week that I had been saving from our homemade loaves since August, and so all I have to do is grind it and mix it and voila! Le piece de resistance! :) Have a lovely and blessed week!!
ReplyDelete~Shani xxx
Happy Thanksgiving week to you! Wow I think you have a great plan for keeping it less stress. Blessing your family with your sweet hospitality and amazing cooking is indeed a blessing. Its sorta a Mary and Martha moment isn't it!?
ReplyDeleteI am going to spend my week getting ready for a house full on Thursday as well but I don't have to make turkey, just sides and a house to get ready.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Jen. Just wanted to say hello and Happy Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a lovely week, and similar to mine. Though we have the whole week off, and Sarah and I start baking on Wednesday. We are having Thanksgiving here, which is fun. I pray your whole family helps out and that there isn't much burden just on you. :)
ReplyDeletein a way, I am thankful that it's just 'us' this year for Thanksgiving. I miss the years of large family get togethers...but not the stress of the hustle and bustle.
ReplyDeletePraying that you have a blessed (and relaxing) Thanksgiving!
I wanted to wish you and your dear family a very Happy Thanksgiving. Blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteJenn, I hope you have a beautiful and blessed Thanksgiving! Thanks for commenting at my blog...I haven't posted there much lately but when I see you've commented, I automatically get a smile on my face :-)!
ReplyDeleteGod bless you and yours,
Julie
I hope you had a wonderful time and are relaxing happily now!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Annie Kate