Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Afternoons
Afternoons have ALWAYS been very difficult for me to get into a solid routine. I am a morning person. I am full of energy (after my coffee). I can get so much done in the hours between 6 and 8AM. So, why is it that between 2 and 5 PM, after lessons, I am dragging and struggling to finish strong? Oh, I do some light chores, like folding laundry, or making muffins, but I am willing myself to keep going, and more likely than not, I am folding clothes while watching a favorite show via Netflix, like Hoarders. There should be some relaxation time, as I've been going for 8 hours at that point. But there needs to be balance,too. I have tried and failed so many times to structure my afternoons. I have prayed for the strength of character that I need to keep my focus during these hours.
Here is my proposed plan:
(Of course this is only on days we are home between 2 and 6)
2PM Go to Flylady's page and do the day's mission. This doesn't take much time and it is fun since I know I will be challenging myself to get this done. (Involve kids)
**This is also a good time to deal with the leaves, if needed. We try to keep on top of the leaves instead of waiting for them all to drop. Ryan can do most on his own, but I usually push mow for half the time, getting areas hard for the rider.
2:30PM Fold laundry and PUT it away!!! (Involve kids)
3-4PM My rest time. Kids should have room time, too)
4PM Return phone calls, check email, etc.,
4:30PM start before dinner routine, cycle dishes and laundry, set table, chop vegetables, do any prep work. Make any items that we need for the week like muffins, hummus, or bread. (with Grace)
5PM Start Dinner, be ready to eat by 5:30, most nights.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Jenn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI am just like you - alert and energetic in the morning and then dragging by lunchtime. I have found that if I drink my cup of coffee after lunch, I am much more productive in the afternoon.
Do you have time early afternoon for a quick nap - say 15 minutes or so? That might help.
My weak spot is also putting laundry away! I fold it on my bed so it has to be put away. My rest time is also 3-4pm!
ReplyDeleteMay you be successful! I am an afternoon person. I HATE mornings, and these dark Alaskan mornings are making it even harder. Pretty soon, the sun won't even come out until around that time around here. CRAZY!
ReplyDeleteJenn,
ReplyDeleteStopping by one more time ~ to invite you to my giveaway. I hope you drop by and enter. :)
Blessings
To me it sounds like you already do enough in the afternoon, but only you would know if that's true. I hope the schedule works for you.
ReplyDeleteWe are so alike in that area. I'm so perky in the mornings, and crash & burn in the afternoons, but sometimes find my second wind around 4 pm. Monday we went strong all day and got a lot accomplished, but then yesterday, Anna was sick & Amber & I were so tired, nothing got accomplished except a nice super. Today is better. Sounds like you have a good schedule planned. I have a schedule, which includes the afternoon, but rarely get anything done on it after school except super. I wish you the best.
ReplyDeleteI think you should schedule in 20 mins of down time. Like a nap.. Naps are good for you and not lazy.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your camera is back! I hope it's truly fixed this time! Thanks for the comments.
ReplyDeleteI am also right where you are. I hit a wall around the same time.
ReplyDeleteLOL! You and I would make a perfect time since I work better in the afternoon...haha!
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard to function when it's not our "time", but putting a plan into action will help.