Thursday, September 8, 2011

No Poo Update No. Two



Anybody out there still thinking about going No Poo?  Well, it has been 7 months now for me and I am still very pleased.  It is as if my hair has gone on auto pilot.  I love the bounce and shine.  I am amazed at how the oil glands have shut off as well.

When I went camping, I pondered taking my little travel sized shampoos with me or whether to take some soda.  It turns out that I needed neither.  I wore my hair in a pony tail and brushed it each morning, but it never got oily or gross after 2 full days.

I have noticed that if I do not use a lot of vinegar, my hair is tangled.  I also have to admit to using a spray de-tangler sometimes.  If I were to get my hair trimmed every 6 weeks or so, this would not be such a problem. I have also used a natural conditioner twice after swimming this summer.

My family has not embraced this journey.  The men use a honey oatmeal bar soap from Trader Joe.  My youngest son has really bad dandruff and uses a dandruff shampoo, much to my horror.  I would really like to find a natural product that works.  My daughter uses a natural shampoo and conditioner.  

How is every one else doing with No Poo?

Click here for first post with No Poo links.  

9 comments:

  1. I'm still using the baking soda, but not the vinegar or lemon juice. I started adding a little Pantene to the baking soda, but not all the time. I mainly did that because my husband told me that my hair wasn't shiny. He said it looked dull. My girls quit using it, because their hair looked dull also. My 14 year olds hair still looked quite oily while using the baking soda. She and her sister went back to regular shampoo and conditioner. I don't plan to quit using the baking soda though. I like not having to use conditioner and being able to go longer without washing my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish I was brave enough to try this. I have started using the (generic) version of Wen - which is a cleansing conditioner instead of a shampoo. I'm not very impressed so far, but I've heard it takes a few weeks so we'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still doing this as well, works great, I think the baking soda wash and vinegar rinse are a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jenn!

    I looked around on your site but couldn't find the "recipe" for your no-poo regime...would you mind either reposting it or sending me the link?? I like your recommendation and am thinking it would be a help for daughter and me. Thanks, friend!

    Blessings on your day,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the vinegar is key to getting a shine. I also think being out of the oily teens is a good thing too. My daughter's hair is so oily that the soda did not work for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like ages since we've caught up with one another from HSB, huh? I found your blog while visiting Mary in Canada's blog (Mary's Little Corner). For different reasons, I've been no-poo for about 9 months now. In fact, I'm growing out my straight, permed hair and going with a curlier natural, healthier look. It's been so liberating and educational for me to learn about what's helping my hair, and what's been hurting it for all these years )-: I included my hair journey as a part of my blog. I'm glad you're sharing yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still on board and the thought of using commercial shampoo or conditioner now makes me cringe. I must admit that my hair seems much heavier and not quite as shiny, but I stick with it anyways. And I LOVE how the vinegar handles my tangly hair. I did use a commercial wash to remove the clorine after our waterpark vacation, but just once. Anna is still using the soda & vinegar too; Amber has switched back to commercial shampoo but is still using the vinegar rinse; and I guess Jeff is using the soda shampoo since that's the only thing I have in our shower. :) He doesn't have that much hair anymore to really care. teehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenn,

    I forgot to let you know that I have been doing the no poo method for a couple of months and LOVE it! I won't go back now.

    Thanks for sharing and inspiring me.((hugs))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do the no poo, but I'm glad it's working for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails