All of a sudden it is late summer. The weather is playing its fickle dance between summer and fall. Today, summer is winning. It will be 90. Tomorrow, fall will win with temperatures in the 60's.
This is a busy time of the year for us. We've been "meeting-ed" to death. Every ministry, every activity is back into full gear. I know this is all good, but wow, sometimes I really miss the freedom of summer.
One thing I adore about late summer is apple time. I've been to one orchard. I am planning my next. I can't wait! I think I am an apple addict. Do you have a favorite apple?
I like a nice crisp apple, no McIntoshes for this girl. Do they even grow those anymore? We just picked up a big bag of free apples with a name that made me think of white... snow crisp? Very spicy and tart! They are yummy. And we are enjoying them in lots of ways -- cocoa apple muffins (actually a cake recipe), pork chops tonight, applesauce, and applecrisp... They are a blessing, but it's no wonder I gain weight this time of year!
ReplyDeleteYep, we are changing weather here too. I like Red Washingtons and Gala. I don't any of the sour ones, not even in recipes. :)
ReplyDeleteI have never been to an apple orchard. I grew up in FL, though, and fall always turns my mind to oranges.
ReplyDeleteWhen you mentioned apples, I couldn't help but think of apple pie. I LOVE apple pie, and one day, I hope to have the courage to make my own.
ReplyDeleteThe weather is still quite warm and hot in my part of the world. However, the sun is beginning to set sooner in the evening, so that means it's getting darker earlier and earlier. I guess that means autumn is in the air. :)
Same here weather-wise Jenn, except I don't think we will see any 90's until next summer.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite is Honey Crisp of course, and off-season I only eat Gala's for their crispness; but our local orchard is now offering a new apple from the U of M, SWEETANGO. It's an off-spring of Honey Crisp & Zestar and suppose to be high quality and crisp. I hope to give it a try.
Hmmm some favorite apples Elstar, Gala, Spartan to name a few. [o= Yes, we will be picking our apples soon! I love apple picking time. Next week I pick crab apples to make jelly with. It's a good thing because we are getting really low on our jelly.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary
That first picture is awesome. But I understand the meeting-ed to death. I agree with you on the summer!
ReplyDeleteI have to say I am a true Granny Smith Lover and I really like Gala's.
We apple pick to. Uusally at the end of September, but probably it will be October before having a chance. Hopefull we aren't to late. We go to a place called, Eckerts. It's a family tradition.
Yes Summer is flirting with Fall here too. Its a lovely 89 here! We plan to go to the apple orchards in October. ( that is when we go in this part of the country). I cannot wait!
ReplyDeleteIt's finally Fall here! I'm SO happy for the cooler weather. I know what you mean about the busy-ness of Fall, though. I remember it well when we homeschooled.
ReplyDeleteI like a crisp apple...usually choose a Gala. We have an orchard not far from us and one of these days I would love to get a bushel and can them. I miss canning!
Hope you are able to get the music I wrote about on my blog. Let me know if you like it or not.
Blessings - Julie