| The "Learning Room" after lessons. Somebody get me a maid! |
I'm really enjoying lessons right now. I love reading aloud every day. We just finished The Golden Goblet, a story about a poor young boy who is mistreated by his evil half brother, but makes good in the end. Yes, it was a bit predictable, but exciting and educational, too. Historical fiction just can't be beat for learning. Next week, we start, The God King. The oldest two are reading The Hittite Warrior on their own.
Another book we are delighted with is Story of the World, volume 1. I like the author's style of writing, very conversational. The kids like it, too. Grace is doing the activity book while I read aloud. The boys build Lego creations.
A surprise favorite is Usborne's Encyclopedia of World History. The actual contents are not what is so exciting, but the Usborne Quicklink website is great. A reader goes to the website, selects the book he is reading, and then enters the page number. Links appear and the kids enjoy exploring ancient history on the computer.
Just as they did last year, the kids have a weekly writing assignment. They had a blast writing peace treaties between made up countries this week. I think one or two of them might make promising treaty writers. Is that a career?
Science with Apologia is a big hit this year. The oldest is doing Physical Science on his own. The other two and I are working through Zoology 2, Swimming Creatures. I love the notebooking journals. I cannot say enough good things about those. I tried to do Flying Creatures a few years ago, but did not finish as I was not as together then. (lol) No, it is because of the notebooking journals that we will finish this year. They are that good!!!
| He's the man! |
To keep this blog real, I don't want to give the impression that lessons are all roses and gumdrops, I've had next year heavy on my mind. I am trying to sort out what to do with our oldest. He will be in high school. He has a brilliant mind and really needs to be pushed to use it. He needs to be ready to go to college. It is intimidating to me to think I could prepare him for his future. I am praying for an answer about whether or not to send him to school next year. We are having his youth group leader over for dinner on Monday. I am hoping he can help us get some direction for Ryan's future. Not that it has to be decided right now.
But enough about school... here are some highlights from our week:
| A gift from Grace |
Saturday found us at a local farmers market. We've enjoyed the bounty all week. How will we go back to bland grocery store vegetables this winter?
Sunday we were running around like crazy with church commitments starting back in full force. We were at church before 8 AM and finished with choir practice for the youngest at 5:45 PM. In between we had Sunday school,a parent meeting, and flock group meeting.
You already know about Monday and Tuesday.
Wednesday night we started back to AWANA. I was a bit anxious, but should have known better. It's basically going to be like a year long VBS. 400+ kids and a lot of energy! I am working with Grace's age group (Guards) and my husband is in charge of high school.
Thursday we wrapped up lessons and then headed for karate in the evening. We got some rain overnight which was awesome. Grace measured an inch in the gauge.
Friday the kids and I will be having a fun, but busy day. I am walking with a friend at a local park on Friday mornings. Then we need to go to the library. And we also get to go swimming at my mom's. Friday evening is another farmers market I'd love to go check out.
Saturday is an all day AWANA training and then Sunday is another FULL day of church things, a repeat of last week's list.
Thanks for taking the time to read! As usual, I appreciate your comments and will be around to visit as time allows.
Blessings to you,
~Jenn
Sounds like a good week. Have you pre-read Hittite Warrior? Although it ended well, I found parts of it quite dark.
ReplyDeleteIt is a little daunting to think of high school(I have a gr8 & gr9 this year). Are there any places that he could take computer classes for homeschoolers or maybe he could take online courses?...just an idea.
We started AWANA in our new "home" this week as well. My kids are super duper excited.
ReplyDeleteAs for high school...I am already thinking about that, and my oldest is technically in 3rd grade (or would be if she were in public school). I can't imagine the mental tug of war. I will pray now for a peaceful decision, no matter what it is!
Hi Jenn.
ReplyDeleteThe school weeks do go quickly! I hope you have a restful weekend. We used apolgia for high school biology and loved it! :)
Have a lovely evening!
Mrs. B
It sounds like you had a great week again. And you're already finished the fourth week! Good for you!
ReplyDeleteYou asked about Ambleside Online for highschool. I answered on my blog, but I'll answer here as well:
I used AO for grade 9 with my oldest. She did year 7 and said that was the year she learned the most in her whole schooling career.
My next two children asked to do textbooks this year rather than AO; they feel a bit worried about credits, I think, although it is not necessary. Besides, they like knowing exactly what to expect. That being said, they pounced on the booklists and really want to read a lot of the books. LOL
I suggest that you go through the site, thinking and pondering. I think it would work for your family since you are book lovers. In any case, look at Year 1 and enjoy much of it with all your children, because it’s for all ages.
I hope that helps a bit!
Annie Kate
Thanks for showing the picture of your house after the days work is done, that is about what mine looks like!
ReplyDeleteWe hope to dig in next week, AGAIN.
ReplyDeleteHaha, LOVE the after school look...our house resembles that fairly often ... even without school. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to send you an email on a couple of other things you mentioned...I need to look up a link first to send you.
Have a GREAT weekend.
You sure are one that likes to be busy aren't you? :) Glad you are doing all the things you enjoy.
ReplyDeleteJenn,
ReplyDeleteTrust in the Lord for "everything." Coming from a mother who has a hs graduate. Where we lack the Lord will take over and supply all you and your son needs.
Schooling the Highschool years are so much more important than hs'ing the younger years. Take each day and trust in the Lord and He will provide the way. I will be praying for you all.
Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary
I saw this and I KNOW I needed to hear this and though you might need it too.
ReplyDeleteGo here...
http://ws-still-waters.blogspot.com/2011/08/need-some-strength-today.html
May this bless you the way it did me!
Blessings and ((HUGS))!
-Mary
Wow, the weeks are just flying by! Thank you for being so "real". Our home gets very much the same (actually worse...add in toddler toys). It's always a reminder of the gift the Father blessed to keep our children at home and close at heart.
ReplyDelete