Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Encouragement for the Home Educator



"Why do we succumb to the world's expectations - even the homeschooling world's expectations?  Why don't we find rest and peace in our Savior who tells us His burden is easy and His yoke is light?  Our fear of failure causes us to hide our imperfections, yet it is only in our weakness that He can make us strong."

Laura Hazelip, March/April 2011 Homeschooling Today

I am guilty of succumbing to other's expectations.  It is all driven by my fear of failure, which I am just now only willing to admit.  It's all about pride, really.  I want my children to "turn out well" so that I will not look like a fool for the choices I made!

On my knees, I admit my weaknesses, including a fear of homeschooling through high school. I confess that I cannot do anything without His help.  Relief washes over me!  I rejoice!  I am at peace as I wait for His help.  My burden is lifted. 




8 comments:

  1. Oh this is a relief for me to read. Why? Because I KNOW where your heart is as you write this and you are in a GOOD place. Keep your eyes looking to the mountains and you will know where your strength comes from. It is from the Lord and we are dust if we don't. Bless you my Sweet Sister in Christ in this journey and you won't be sorry. I just wished I was in the same room as you so I could give you a HUGE (((((((((HUG)))))))))!

    Blessings and (((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,

    Bless your heart. I am reaching out and giving you a big {{HUG}}. I have felt the same things that you do now.

    My younger two I did homeschool through high school but I didn't do it alone. I went through NARHS (North Atlantic Regional High School). It is a Christian high school/homeschool umbrella school. They can receive an accredited high school diploma (which was very important to me). NARHS helped me wisely choose my own curriculumn and held me accountable. They reviewed their tests and grades. I found them an excellent alternative. Here is the link if you are interested and please email me if you have any questions!

    http://www.narhs.org/

    Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, so true.

    As a former classroom teacher, I often fall victim to old habits and expectations. I have to constantly remind myself that the goal is to create learners, not test takers...if that makes sense.

    Last week, all four children learned a new Bible verse (or a set of 3) as part of out new curriculum. At one point, I heard my oldest in the bedroom with the little ones, leading practice so they could surprise the "Teacher". Even my 2 year old can recite the verses.

    I had been questioning if I was doing the right thing. Praying that God would make it obvious I was on the right track. That moment, I knew that while the three R's are important, they are learning things so much more important than just academics...and that is why we are homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, dear Jenn,

    I so appreciate your thoughts. I think we homeschoolers struggle with this all along the way, and the constant casting ourselves on the Lord in this kind of dependence puts us in such a good place! Yes, we want our efforts to bear fruit and to stand up to comparison wherever. But if He's called us to His work, He has equipped us.

    May He fill your heart with peace and confidence!

    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((HUGS))) Jen

    I am also frightened at the thought of high school (just one year away for us.) But God is faithful, and if he wants us to do it - he will give me the strength, knowledge and resolve to get it done.
    (I will admit I've been looking at 'umbrella' schools though.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenn,
    Just do the right thing.
    (lol)
    So easy to say, isn't it?

    Lee Binz has a wealth of help for homeschooling high school.
    http://www.TheHomeScholar.com
    Ever see her stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn,

    Dropping in to invite you to my giveaway. :)

    Blessings,

    Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all feel this way. I know I have. We think we are doing it all for the kids, but really, it's for us and our pride. For me, it's an ongoing turning it all over to the Lord. But I'm thankful He can more than handle it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails