Friday, August 12, 2011

This Week At Home, Number 30

Just a house I like. Wouldn't some chickens look nice in the yard? 

In which I revamp formats, yet again.

On the Heart and Mind:
The return of cooler weather, with liveable humidity has been the saving grace of my sanity. 
My Sweet Girl

Life and Learning:
Our second week of school is going very well.  We continue to check off the chapters in some very captivating books.  We are enjoying The Golden Goblet, although, it might be a bit predictable for some tastes, namely oldest son, who would rather all books be set in space.  The oldest two are also reading Mara, Daughter of the Nile.  And, we are all enjoying our Story of the World text.   I can tell they are listening.

Let me tell you how I know this is true.  I can tell they are listening because they are starting to bring up bits of the books and make connections to our everyday word.  For instance, today when my beloved 2002 Dell desktop bit the desk, they asked if they could mummify it.  Then they went onto describe how they'd do it and what they'd do to protect it from grave robbers.  See, they are learning. 

This is an improvement over the first time we studied ancient history.  They mummified every doll in the house.  I almost had to hide the toilet paper.  

This week we also took an Indiana History field trip to our local living history museum on a very lovely day. It was just too lovely to stay inside. 

Around the House:
The house is holding its own since its cleaning on Tuesday.  I have to make a decision what to do with the "desk" in the kitchen now that my desktop is not going to be there.

This is what it looked like when it was clean. 
Kitchen desk with computer before its death.  
This is what it usually looked like.

Ugh!  The area is a giant clutter magnet.  It doesn't work to use it as an eating area.  It's not big enough for all of us.  It is too low for extra counter space, which I really need and want.  What would you do with it? 
In the Kitchen:

I finally made hummus!  I had asked my sweet friend JoAnn for her recipe a whole month ago. Then I would forget to buy one ingredient and have to wait another week.  (Yes, I can be a bit disorganized.) Well, I finally got some made and I have to say I am in love!   I ended up using a different recipe from Best Life, one for a blender.  I only have a blender, so this worked great.

2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 huge clove of garlic, pressed
1t salt
up to 1/2 cup of warm water
1 t cumin
juice of 1/2 a lime
3T tahini sauce

I just mixed it on low and stopped frequently to mix with the spatula.  This recipe is the bomb.  It is not "biting" like some we have purchased already prepared.  Also because it doesn't use sesame seeds, but the tahini sauce, it doesn't have to go through the blender very long.  It was thick and creamy!
Table of "curiosities"
We don't have big plans for the weekend.  We cancelled a camping trip when we got home from our last one.  We decided we would rather wait until better weather and it is promotion Sunday at church and the kids were disappointed at the thought of not being there. 


Thank you for taking the time to read and if you have any thoughts on the kitchen desk, let me know.  I want to work on that and get it settled by next week. 
~Jenn

11 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    I love that your children "mummify" their dolls! So cute! They sound a lot like my children. My children loved science! I am not sure if mummies are science or history or both? My children also loved insects. They loved the outside finding new insects and charting their growth etc.

    Have a lovely Friday!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house is great and chickens would go nicely in the yard. I will have to try this hummus recipe, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How 'bout using the table as an art center for the children? Or a private study area if someone needs one? Or place it up on blocks or something to use as counter space? That's all I can come up with, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad all is going well in the schooling department. Funny about the mummies. Humm, not sure what to do with the table. How about use it as a display table for the children to show & tell what they are doing in school for dad & whoever comes to visit...or a learning center to display books & whatever about what you are currently studying? Else if it were me, perhaps I'd move the table out of the kitchen and find a cheap/free hutch or buffet (that may need painting) and put it in that spot for more kitchen storage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like a perfect homeschool mama. Yes, life is trying to figure what does and doesn't work in a household of learners. Ohhh I got a few catchalls myself. ((blush))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things are going well. Glad you found a hummus recipe you like for the blender. Oh, and I like the picture of the house because I love porches, I would do without the chickens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH! She looks Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am addicted to hummus. It is my "go to" food. I like to dip everything from veggies to chips and pretzels in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like every horizontal surface in my house is a clutter magnet. UGH! I dream of chickens in my yard but I'm not sure what my neighbors would think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of a art table one of the comments said. But I understand. I have a similar area. I have to stay on top of it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We enjoyed The Golden Goblet. And homemade hummus ... YUM!! I always buy store bought. It's time to branch out and make my own.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails