Tuesday, August 9, 2011

So, How's it Going?

We've just begun our second school week.  It's hot, muggy, and quite frankly, I would rather spend my days in a pool with a cold iced tea by my side.  Hot and muggy means I am not sleeping well.  The last 23 days have been hot and muggy.  This old house we rent can't properly cool the upstairs where we sleep.  But, I know we are not the worst off area in the country.  It is supposed to cool down tomorrow.  They've been saying that for a long time!  I think they say that so we won't give up and move to Canada.  (I mean way up north near the pole, north!)  We did get a little rain yesterday, so that is nice. 

As for lessons, they could not be going any better.  It amazes me how quickly the kids get back into it.  And for the most part the bad attitudes have been minimal.  I have had to deal with a few meltdowns, but nothing like in the past.  I hope to do 4 full days this week, 5 if the weather stays hot.  I do have a plan in mind if the weather breaks, an Indiana History field trip day!!!

Today, I announced that we'd be doing some chores this afternoon after lunch and before computers start to mindlessly take over.  This morning I wrote a list of chores and assigned them.  With 4 people doing 2 or 3 chores, a lot can get done in a short time.  Here is my list:
  • sweep kitchen and entry, then mop (Grace)
  • water garden & birds (Grace)  
  • bathrooms, all three (me)
  • window sills (Trevor)
  • vacuum family room (Ryan)
  • vacuum learning room and dining room (move chairs) (Ryan)
  • vacuum bedrooms and upstairs hall (Trevor)
  • dust cobwebs with small hand vacuum (me) 
  • catch up laundry (all)
  • tidy up (all) 
I hung out some clothes today, again  I am starting to figure that out.  I tried hanging towels out first, then finishing in the dryer.  Now I am trying the reverse.  I want to see which is best and uses less energy.  It's more work for me, but actually, I love the physical job of hanging clothes. I love to watch them swing in the breeze.  I also hung out our dress shirts and husband's work pants.  They seem to dry well on hangers put on the hammock.  Might as well, since I can't enjoy it myself!  

I hear school buses roaring through the neighborhood today.  It's their first day back.  The library will be a ghost town when we go this week.  I am not sorry about that.  There will be more books on the shelves too.  All public places will be quieter.  *grin*

I've been thinking about the start of our school year last year.  This year seems much more smooth.  I also have more energy.  Could it be the 6 days a week of working out? 

I've not had my camera out of its case in awhile.  I will have to grab something from the archives for this post.  That is so fun, looking at the archives.  I hope you don't mind. 
Oh to be freezing on the beach, once more! 
You all have a great week and I'll be back to wrap this one up on Friday afternoon!  So, how is your week going so far? 
~Jenn

10 comments:

  1. Hi. I stumbled upon your blog and I am glad that I did. I am also a homeschool mother (though I am retired now). :)

    I especially loved the first weeks of school and all the new books!

    Blessings to you and your family,

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't say I'm loving the heat - but I will say, for me, it sure beats freezing! ;-) I do like your winter beach picture though!

    I'm so glad to hear that your year is going smoothly so far. We start in 20 days...I'm not ready. Getting there - but I still have a lot of organizing to do. I admit I'm getting excited to try out our new books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dry no clothes in the dryer. When I don't hang my clothes out, I have 3 drying racks in my den. I even put the sheets on them, if I have to. Our utility bill went down, since we don't use the dryer. I figured that up a long time ago. It's way cheaper to hang them out. Did you know that all the lint from the dryer is your clothes???? That was one of the things that sold me on line drying.

    We start school next week. I will only be homeschooling one this year. The other one will be going to a private school. I think it will be much quieter here during the day.

    Have a blessed evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our week is going well. Second day of school done and I have to say, it's going quite smooth. Our weather has been nice also, but that doesn't always help. Makes me want to be outside more. Glad your week is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your heat wave has finally left. That is funny, they forecast cooler weather "tomorrow" for days on end here too, and it seemed like tomorrow never came. But it's only 72° here today.

    Glad you are getting the housework chores done with help...but I feel for you doing all three bathrooms yourself. I farm our's out...one is enough for me.

    Yes, I LOVE the smell of clothes (esp. sheets) hung on the line. I haven't done it as much this summer as it's just been hot w/no wind, but I can probably start that up again this week.

    Glad school is going good for you. That seems so weird that gov. school has started this early...do they usually start this early?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 6 days a week? That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your week seems to be going well. I'm sorry to hear about you having muggy weather. Hopefully, things will get better weather-wise where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwe come on you can move to the southern part of Canada...near me! [o= I am so glad to hear you all are easing in so well to your lessons and chores. I hope our easing into it all goes as well.

    The nice thing about drying the towels for 10 minutes and then hanging it out to dry is they are softer then.

    Does the ps start that early in your area ?!? Do they get a fall break? In Nebraska where my sister is they get a fall break. ( b/c of farmer's kids need to help their families bring in the harvest)

    We will wait till after Labor Day week end. I have so much I got to try to get done.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad starting back to school has gone so smoothly. We too started back up and have hit a couple of bumpy places that I'm praying about. Adolescence is something new I'm having to deal with...along with all of it's emotions and "you don't understand me!"
    I too enjoy hanging clothes out, sorta theraputic. Takes me back to living with my grandparents when everything seemed so simple.
    And it has finally cooled off a bit here, high was only ninety-six yesterday (it felt like fall) and we've gotten a bit of rain, PTL!
    Blessings for a new school year :-),
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenn, sorry I missed this wonderful post! The scene of that last photo will be here again soon. ALL of our clothes are still summer weight, so I am feeling a bit pressured to clothe my family in some warm scarlet...
    I am with you about the clothesline. I'd love to have one, but what I don't love is the reminder how weak my arms are, the first morning after I hang my laundry out! :)
    Glad you are cooler today. Such a relief, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails