| 2011-12 Class Photo |
![]() |
| Summer of 2008 |
Our first day went pretty well. I got up at 6AM, and as usual the next three hours flew by. I prayed, read Jude, washed a pan I forgot last night, fed and watered the birds and cat, swept the kitchen, had breakfast with my dear one, did my workout,got the kids up, took a shower, and was ready for lessons at 9AM.
Lesson consisted of ...
- taking first day pictures
- singing "Jesus Paid It All"
- praying for our school day
- reading from 1 Chronicles
- International Children's bible Field Guide pp. 8-12
- reading from our poetry book, Favorite Poems Old & New
- The Story of the World vol. 1, introduction (Grace is doing the activity pages, too)
- Usborne Encycolopedia of World History PP. 102-07
- The Golden Goblet, chapter 1 (all 24 pages!)
Everyone (including me) is writing a descripitve essay this week about ourselves. I thought it would be a good thing for me to join in the fun. I get less flack that way.
For 4th and 6th grade science we are using Apologia Zoology II. We started our notebooking journals today. We will start our ocean boxes soon.
4th grader gets IN history. Today we worked on the state standard of geography of IN.
4th and 6th grade then went off to do their Teaching Textbooks for math while I did my record keeping work for the day.
6th grade and 8th grade are reading the first 8 chapters of Mara, Daughter of the Nile, on their own this week. 4th grader is reading Dolphin Adventures.
And that is that! (I think.)

Wow, it sounds like you had a busy school day and got a lot accomplished. Are the students still happy they started early? I just finished writing out the nitty gritty details of our Bible lessons for the year - I have a chronological list of Bible reading, just had to plug in the appropriate Bedell lessons to go with them. Next is History, but now Anna wants the computer. Glad your day went well.
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect first day!!!!! I like the idea of writing the essay with them. I am going to adopt that idea! One of my favorite things to do it look back over all our "first day" photos. Your children are all looking so grown up! Have a blessed week!
ReplyDeleteIt appears that you had a very productive day. Congratulations on your first day back to school.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Sounds like a great start! You certainly got a lot accomplished, and most before 9am! I think this will be our last week of freedom. The boys and dad are going camping later this week. So that will be a good "one last hurray" and then back to the books on Monday.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice when the older ones can do more on their own. Great picture!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great day! I would love to start but my kids are enjoying summer and since our summers are so short, we are waiting until September 1 to begin this year.
ReplyDeleteThen, we have two weeks off at the end of the month and beginning of October for visiting Grandparents and then we will hit the books for the remaining winter.
Hi Jenn! Thanks for visiting me at www.faithinsmallthings.com. What a wealth of knowledge you are! I'm so glad to "know" someone else who has been there done that with Sonlight in the early years! I hope to be a veteran homeschooler like you someday! I'm going to try not to get bogged down with the small details, like suggested! Looking forward to following your blog!
ReplyDeleteNicole.
Wow - I can't get over how much your kids have changed!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a wonderful first day! I am getting anxious to begin - although there is still much I have to do planning-wise - AND I'm not ready for summer to end. :-(
I hope that your 2nd day went as good as the first!
ReplyDeleteWe had a bit of a service day helping a family -- the husband has cancer and today was his chemotherapy day and my girls helped watch their baby.
I love homeschooling when we can do things like that.
What a very productive day! I won't be ready to start till after Labor Day. Waaaay to much to do before then. It is great that your have a great jump start for the year. I pray the year keeps going as well as it started.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary
What a good day you had! I toyed with the idea of starting on the first, but we have so much work to do in the garden, and our cherry plums are producing gallons of fruit.
ReplyDeleteInstead, we're doing some catch up work (some math, physical science, chemistry), and I'm dreaming of adding in French and Dutch, while also dreaming of unschooling for the whole year.... Sigh!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Annie Kate
I like the way your school day begins, Jenn. I must get back to doing Ladies' Coffee Hour with my girls, with Bible and read-aloud! As for those first three hours, yes, they do fly by. How to make them longer (other than getting up earlier!)?
ReplyDeleteYep, they're getting big. Welcome back to school.
ReplyDeleteCathy
Sounds like a busy first day back. Glad things went well. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn