Monday, July 11, 2011

How To Be Happy

For the most part, I consider myself a happy person with many blessings.  I decided to write a little about how I achieve this state of being as a record perhaps for my children one day. 
  1. Wake up every morning with a grateful heart.  Spend time in the Word of God.  Ask Him to help you navigate through your day in a way that pleases Him.  
  2. Exercise for 20 to 30 minutes a day.  Even if you are not training for an Olympic sport, you will reap many benefits from this simple step.  You can be proud of yourself for one thing.  You will have more energy.  You will sleep better. 
  3. Eat less, avoid sugar, regular or diet soda, and refined foods.  Be moderate.  
  4. Purpose to work hard for the glory of God whatever you do.  No grumbling.  Look for ways to bless others.
  5. Be the first to say you are sorry.  
  6. Look people in the eyes when speaking to them.  Smile!  
  7. Go to bed at a decent hour.  Get up early enough to do #1 &#2 on this list.  Get up before your children.  
  8. Do not spend money you do not have, EVER!!!  
  9. Save for a rainy day, even if this means you have to say no to yourself now.  
  10. Spend time marveling God's creation whenever you are able.  

**Bonus:  if you want to grow old gracefully, never stop moving,  reading / learning, and don't watch a lot of TV !  (From personal observation of my elders) 

6 comments:

  1. These are all good advice, Jenn. I struggle to remember to do them all at the same time, lol, but I try anew every day. Abraham Lincoln is quoted saying "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." I believe that is very true, and when I feel my attitude slipping from contented and gracious, I try to re-focus and usually end up on the happier side again. :)

    Have a lovely week! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jenn,

    Great list! Very quotable and a good reminder of the simple choices one can make to 'keep a merry heart.' Thanks!

    Thanks, too, for stopping by; nice to hear from you. I'm still catching up on my blog reading so have missed a few of your posts. As to your questions...

    - No, normally we are not humid here in CO; we enjoy a fairly dry heat with thunderstorms (we call it the monsoon season in July/Aug). But not this year! My goodness, we've had rain every day and are harvesting a daily batch of mushrooms in our yard. Our average summer highs are in the low to mid-90s but with these rains, temps have been in the low to mid-80s. Really nice.

    I can sympathize about needing to leave home to rest! Our happy homes are also our place of work...which never ends. Hope you have a wonderful time at the lake--you have really inspired me with your camping tales. We've not had out tent-trailer out yet this season, but have a weekend in August planned with some friends.

    And have a fabulous VBS! Will look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, I must remember number 1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. I love your header photo. Sweet!. You have some convicting advice in this post! Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Jenn!

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails