Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How To Be Happy According to Benjamin Franklin

I really enjoy gleaning from the past.  I came across this list and thought I'd post them here as something to think about.   Although, Mr. Franklin did not always live up to his virtues, it is still valuable to have something to aim for.  I would do well to write my own personal list.  


Benjamin Franklin's Thirteen Virtues
Temperance: Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
Order: Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
Moderation: Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
Industry: Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation.
Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, some of these are so convicting! It's amazing how little we as a society focus on the betterment of society, ourselves, and each other anymore, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!

    Have a lovely day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting question: What would be my list of virtues?

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots to ponder from that list! Thanks for sharing. How is summer other than your trips? Are you enjoying your days at home? Sewing machine ?

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really like this list. I'm going to copy it, and then print it up to read for later.

    For some reason, the last statement made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always being encouraged by the wise words of B. Franklin... what would my list be...something to truly think about.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn, I just found your blog and I love it! I'm your newest follower and would love for you stop by and visit me sometime. :)

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails