Monday, June 27, 2011

Time for Moderation

Hello friends. I hope you had a great weekend. 


Recently, I came across a very lovely and encouraging site called Unplugged Sunday.  Right way I wanted to join in.  Unplugged any day is very appealing to me.  However as usual, I jumped in feet first without careful consideration of my family's needs.  Ever do that?
So, after presenting the idea and saying we were going to give it a try, the deal went south pretty quickly.  I had to step back and look at the big picture.  What was my goal?

What I really want is for our default not to always involve a screen.  I want us to use our weekends to connect, not scatter in front of a screen.  Then I realized that we had already done that. 

We spent hours yesterday walking about the living history museum.  Today we worshiped as a family, went to the library and a local park.  Yes, we also spent time on the computer, individually.  But we did not totally ignore one another either.  And the time we spent online was not wasted. My oldest son is writing a book and needs lots of time to flesh it out. The big picture also includes a weekend of camping is coming soon.  We will be unplugged for days.  Yippee!  I can't wait.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you put it, "default to the screen". Yes, we do that at times too, not too often. Sometimes we feel like we just need to totally veg out and do something that doesn't require any brain cells and perhaps take us away from the cares of this world. I think we have been on the computer a lot less lately, and it seems like when we turn on the tv, we are all in the same vegging mood...usually there is nothing worth watching, but I'm thankful for dvds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ideas for "unplugging" sound good to me. It's something that I certainly need to work upon. I'm slowly learning that less time spent with technology means more actual living.

    I've still got a long ways to go, but at least I am slowly realizing the concept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love " default to the screen". Its says it perfectly. I also agree with you that as much as I want to unplug...I have to look at the whole picture.
    I have discovered that I can set the mood for steering them away from the screens without asking them. This week it has taken form in repurposing a room, painting a bathroom, and putting in a drip system for our new garden.
    We looked forward to our together screen time ( a movie) and enjoyed our quite screen time alone. In a day when electronics are the norm I think learning the balance is most important ( for me too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes everything in moderation even moderation. [o=

    When do you think you will get your sewing machine up and running? I am hoping this week end maybe... get some more sewing time in. It may have to wait till after the 4th. ((sigh))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean, but have just gone completely immoderate and decided to take a long blogging break. Hubby is finally able to take a break, and I don't want to waste it.

    So I'll be off the internet... which is probably good for me. We'll see!

    Blessings,

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think like they say about beauty, moderation is in the eye of the holder. What is moderate to one may not be to another. You are doing what is best, seeing your family for who it is, your family, and no one elses. Keep following what the Lord is showing you, and it will all work out. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails