Sunday, June 12, 2011

More Than Just a Grill

Coleman Sierra cleaned & ready to go. 

An exciting thing happened this weekend.  We were gifted a used gas grill, one that we'd never be able to afford new.  One I turned down last year!  All it needed was a little elbow grease and a tank of propane.  Simple.  Easy.  Right?

Wait just a moment!  We put in over 2 hours of sweat equity into that grill.  Made a huge mess.  Made three trips to the hardware store.  Consulted an elder because it was not working right.  Experienced defeat, joy and befuddlement all in two days. 
Consultation in progress. 

But you know what?  Now, we have a grill!  What makes me laugh a little is that this grill reminded me of a longing I had more than a few years back.  You know, during "the basement longing days."  I also had a longing for a "real" grill.  I even told others about this. It was an unfulfilled longing and then I just gave up.  For the last several years I did not even think about it.  And now, I have a real grill!  I actually have 2.  One for home and one for camping. 

Another side note.  This is more than just a grill.  It's a gateway to fellowship.  One that had been closed to me.  I did not fret about this.  We just made do.  And then last week we offered to have our flock group fellowship here at our house, but were turned down because we did not have a grill.  We ended up going to a great water park and the kids probably had a much better time than if they had been here.  And now I have a grill! 

Time for a fellowship! 

11 comments:

  1. Hey Sweetheart! We did it! We now have a grill. I love you!
    Your co-laborer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know if I should cry, or chuckle with you among those tears..

    Your post made me feel sad that

    1: yall were turned down for fellowship because you didnt have a grill

    2: The fact that you didnt have a real grill

    3: you are finally getting to have those moments of ubber cool summer grilling fun.

    4: that is one nice grill!

    Now if I can get directions to your abode I will be happy to help eat anything off that grill... and btw Charcoal food doesnt bother me one bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh....may you bless many others with your fellowship BBQ!!!

    BTW, how sweet that your husband left you a comment, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, that's some grill all right!! Congratulations. We have a gas grill too (not nearly as nice), that only my hubby can start as the igniter doesn't work and he throws a match in (too scary for me). At least it works...once started. Love that char grilled taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing how things all work out? I'm so happy for you!! I did the same thing for years...longed for a grill. I haven't thought about it in a long time...could it possibly mean a grill is in our future?! lol

    So great catching up with you...haven't been doing much blog reading.

    Enjoy your grill!!

    Many blessings - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn,

    Sometimes, we seem to get blessings when we least expect them. I think those are the best kind.

    I'm sure that you will have a great time with your new grill, as I know that your family loves barbeques. :)

    Blessings,

    -L. Rose

    P.S. Your Husband's comment was sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE summer grilled meals. They are the BEST, and ever so easy on the kitchen clean up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so great. It's always a blessing when the Lord gives us things when we don't expect it. But I real agree with Ms Jeannie, I think it's sad you were turned down from having a fellowship because you didn't have a grill.

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a nice grill, enjoy your summer grilling time! I cleaned our grill the other day, I am almost afraid to turn it on to see if it still works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for you !!! I know what it means to REALLY want something you can just taste it but it doesn't happen. So you finally put it aside and ((boom)) there it is. ( with the Lord's help) May the Lord bless your fellowship in your backyard and home for years to come.

    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, guys. I don't think anyone was trying to be mean, so it did not really make me sad to be turned down. I think there was a certain expectation for the fellowship and we just did not fill it. Anyway, it turned out very nice at the park.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails