Often, I am drawn to the wonderful world that is available to me via my fingertips. I find valuable friendships. (I love my online friends!) I find knowledge, which I ponder. I find encouragement, which I treasure. And I get a chance to express myself right from the comfort of my very own kitchen. What more could I ask for?
Actually, more self control comes to mind! It is so easy to allow the good things to take over. My family needs all of my mind, not just fragments. These are the years that count.
The following list comprises my personal computer use guidelines. These are set by myself in order to control my time spent away from my home duties. Because let's face it, when I am reading blogs, I am not available to my family.
I am sad to say that my love of learning can take me away from the very ones I am trying to serve better by learning more! Therefore, I have decided a little prudent reminder is in order.
- Strive not to be on the computer when my family is not actively engaged in other activities.
- Set regular times to check email, Twitter, my cbox and stick to these. (After morning chores, during lunch break, a few times before bed. No peeking in between!)
- Do not read blogs via my phone during school time, even if there is time while a child is working independently. I need to be available, not distracted.
- Limit online time in general when my husband is home.


Yup! A good reminder, Jenn. It's the ever-present temptation and very hard to say no to. Thanks for the gentle challenge to me and your readers. With a teen, I'm finding it more important than ever to lead by example (ouch!).
ReplyDeleteAnd yes...time for my hubby and daughter is not being taken to comment on your post! ha!
Very good. I also need to take heed. I can get so caught up in trying to read on better our life at home and homeschooling that I don't ever take action because I am to busy learning.
ReplyDeleteGood post..
ReplyDeleteJenn,
ReplyDeleteYou are not alone with your struggles in this matter. I recently posted a poem regarding this very topic on my poetry blog. Come by and read it when you have a chance.
http://a-housewife-and-her-poetry.blogspot.com
-Mrs. Housewifey (a.k.a. Lady Rose :)
Are you sure you are not at my house sitting in my kitchen having this very conversation! Oh how the Lord works! I too have felt this tug at my heart and needed clarity as to just what was bugging me. You said it in a nut shell.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being transparent.
Oh no, you and I are even starting to think alike. The very same thing has been weighing heavily on my mind as well. Just this morning I drug out my list of things I want to do...the same New Years resolution list that I make every year, but never gets done. I also admit that although our house is in relative order, I could get oh so much more done considering I'm home all day. So I am putting myself on a schedule so to speak. I'm going to be working on it all this week, but want to make sure I put in the effort to work towards my goals a little each day. I'll blog about it once I get it a little more planned out.
ReplyDeleteGlad we are doing this together. And Oh, I LOVE the disclaimer thingy!
Glad you are following what the Lord is showing you. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
I hear what you are saying and it is so important. I too am trying to be more self controlled in when I get on the computer. I still have till the end of July in our lessons and it gets more challenging as time goes longer. Thank you for the inspiring post. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteBlessings and ((HUGS))
I often know what all the blog world is doing but then I haven't taken enough time with my Blessings! Great reminder and example.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post, Jenn. I try to do most of my blogging before breakfast, but sometimes breakfast is late.... How's that for bending the rules? LOL
ReplyDeleteThanks for verbalizing this; it has been at the back of my mind for a while.
Blessings,
Annie Kate