Friday, April 15, 2011
For Whom Do You Write?
I came to a point about a year ago where I thought I should stop blogging. I thought I should just be a blog visitor. I thought this because I did not think I had much to offer to the blogging world. I had made the fatal mistake of comparison. Oh, such an easy thing to do! There are hundreds, thousands of better bloggers than me out there. There are bloggers so good that companies want to pay them to blog. How intimidating is that? Very!
So, I asked myself,"Who do you write this blog for?" Do I write it to be popular? Do I write to make money? The answer was no. I write for me. I write for my family's collective memory. I don't want to forget these days. (And, yes, I also enjoy the friendships I've made these last 4 years of blogging. You are the best!)
I could keep a paper journal. In some ways I wish I did. Then I would have something tangible to hand my family one day. Perhaps I will publish my blog when my ships comes in! I've seen some neat companies that will publish a blog. Whatever happens, I want to keep writing to please myself and my family.
It's probably best if I just put some blinders on and not allow the comparison monster to get very far with his attacks. So, why do you blog?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I write for me...does that sound selfish? When I first started blogging, I thought it would be a great way to keep up with relatives, but none of them read it, LOL! So primarily it's for me and also a great way to keep in touch with some of the friends I've made while blogging! No, I don't ever see being famous at it, I'm too cheap to give stuff away and besides I don't have the obvious talent for writing that the big hitters have.
ReplyDeleteI am like you, I blog so that I have a record of these special years at home with my kids. I have often said that my blog is our 'yearbook.'
ReplyDeleteI also blog to keep in touch with family. My inlaws live in FL, and so my blog gives them a chance to 'see' their grandkids and gives them a bit of a chance to get to know them better through stories and photos.
I, for one, am glad that you didn't give up blogging. I think you ARE a very talented and inspiring writer!
Blessings,
Micehlle
I love your blog, so keep at it!
ReplyDeleteBlogging is something I do to tell my story, my ongoing testimony if you will. I enjoy doing it and find the time I spend writing very comforting.
For me, it's not about how many people read or validating my opinion. I do, however, set out with two goals in mind when I post: 1. To challenge readers to think a little deeper about a subject matter, and/or 2. To make them laugh at least a little.
You did both for me with this post! Thanks.
I blog for the same reasons. Originally it was because I was lonely and needed to reach out to people. I also NEEDED help in home schooling-so it was a combo of reasons. It also became a way to let all my out of state family and friends keep up with our family. The friends and support have been precious to me.
ReplyDeleteDo you read the homespun heart? She just printed a book of two years of her blog. I have never thought about doing this.
ReplyDeletehttp://thehomespunheart.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-book.html
I am glad you blog, you are probably the reason I kept blogging,your friendship made me feel someone was out there reading.
I agree it is so easy to start comparing and think that giving up on blogging is the best and easiest thing to do. But like you I always ask myself the same question, why do I blog? Actually hubby usually asks me it when I'm telling him why I'm thinking of stopping. Once I am set as to why I blog, the what to blog and how often doesn't bother me as much. Since usually the reason why is for myself. :)
ReplyDeleteGood post.
JoAnn
My initial reason was rather silly. Friends kept asking me for recipes. Family members would call for recipes. It was just infinitley easier to make a blog with all the recipes and tell them, "it is on the blog." ;)
ReplyDeleteNow, I blog because it is an outlet. I have been published a few times for writing, but I have to write THEIR way. On this blog, I can write however I want to write.
Also, I have made some really neat blog world friends, their blogs encourage, uplift, and teach me things...like yours :) I just hope that maybe mine does the same for some people as well.
Good question! It's so hard not to compare to other bloggers. I'm guilty of that too. I think it's important remain true to the kind of blog you want(like a journalling blog, a recipe blog, a photography blog etc.).
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are still blogging Jenn!! Your blogs are ALWAYS so homey -- you make me feel like I'm at your home for a visit. You are a very good writer & blogger.
ReplyDeleteI initially started to blog for like-minded friendship and perhaps to encourage other homeschoolers, but over time I have wanted my blog to be more "spiritual", to have a message.
Most of my friends have gone by the wayside (except my best friends, which should be reason enough to keep on); I've already shared pretty much everything I wanted on homeschooling...now I just feel like I'm repeating myself; and as far as more spiritual...well, others can do a far better job at it than I...so perhaps it IS time I quit...but it's like an addiction...I don't know if I could quit, so I keep hanging in there.