| Where the magic happens. |
I'll let you in on a little secret. Actually, it is not a secret. It's just an underused tool we bloggers have. It's called "Scheduled Posts." Right now, I have in my post list 3 drafts in progress and 3 posts scheduled to be published. I love this feature. And here is why.
First, it makes my blogging time so much more controllable. I do not have to spend as much time all at once pouring over one post. I simply get an idea and start a draft. Then when a moment allows, I flesh it out, little by little. As more time allows, I add pictures or proof read it or polish it a bit. In the course of a few days it is ready to be scheduled. Simple!
Second, it fosters more creativity on my part. I find myself thinking about things I could write about. I write more. I get a little better at it, just like my kids, whom I encourage to write and re-write. Perhaps it will even keep my brain younger?
And lastly, it makes my blog seem like an active, vibrant place, a place where you know you will read something new every couple days or so. Being consistent builds a community. Communities are much needed in our line of work where we are frequently alone all day with KIDS!
The next time you get an extra moment and an idea, sit down and start a draft. Let it sit for a few days or come back to it when you have a free moment and give it a tweak. Come back another day and add a picture. When it is ready to publish, click "post options". From there you click "scheduled at". Pick your time and date. Then click "publish post". Then start another draft and repeat.
So there you have it. Why not give it a try yourself?
Good post Jenn. I've done that before, but more times than not, the urgency of the post just fades in time and I end up deleting it. I've been struggling a lot with my blogging lately. I read so many amazing blogs and feel so inadequate...I may just stop blogging altogether and just visit.
ReplyDeleteExcellent thoughts, Jenn. I've barely scratched the surface with doing it this way; I'm a bit like Jane where the thought fades, the 'moment' gone. I struggle with time and choices of content, too. Guess I'm still 'developing' the what and how of blogging. (A lot of my post ideas are born and die in the middle of the night.)
ReplyDeleteBut I'm taking this to heart as from the Lord and will make a better attempt. Thank you! :-)
That is what I do...just out of ideas right now ;)
ReplyDeleteGood post. And I use to do this and really miss doing it. I just need to get the skeletons of the post done and do it! It makes such a difference.
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful writer...gifted at it. I always enjoy your post.
Excellent post, Jenn! I'm struggling to be more organized, especially about reviews. In HSB the schedule function never did work with my template, and I've never tried it here yet.
ReplyDeleteOn Mondays I make a list of posts I'd like to put up that week, and that already helps a lot.
Blessings,
Annie Kate
PS Yes, this blogging helps my writing!
Oh Jenn, I have many drafts in my blog cache which I have never posted. But often I am reminded that it is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt, lol. Not that you have anything foolish to share, no, not you. Me.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, though. Scheduled posting is a great feature!
One of my very favorite features! I love to get a bunch of posts ahead and scheduled...makes me feel so productive and, you're right, it makes our blogs fresh all the time.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this!
God bless you - Julie
I do this too as my computer time is often sparatic.
ReplyDeleteAbout my pictures, I often find it hard to find things to take pictures of, but sometimes during the course of the day something does inspire me I run for the camera.
Good post. I do this too, especially on my writing blog. Though right now my computer time has drastically changed, still trying to get stable on knowing when I can be online. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn