Sunday:
Visited my dear grandma after church with my mom and Grace. Brought her homemade peanut butter cookies. She seems so frail and was not making a lot of sense. I am worried about her. I wonder if it is all the meds she is on or is it her brain shutting down from the dementia. Something to pray about.
Monday:
First day without homeschool gym. Did not miss the running there and back, but missed the people. We were able to get a normal, full day of lessons in the book. For the second time, I almost forgot Grace's dance class. Thankfully we only live a few minutes away and she was actually on time since her teacher starts late. I even wrote it down and reminded myself several times during the day. Oh well. The season is almost over. I don't know why I've had a mental block on that activity all school year long! Has that ever happened to you?
I started to feel unwell in the evening hours. Perhaps I am getting the boys' colds. I took a bunch of vitamins and went to bed, hoping for the best.
| Dear Arlene and the kids. |
Tuesday:
Woke up feeling slightly better, but congested and low energy. I was able to keep our lunch date with a very special lady visiting us from AZ. We had a nice lunch, although I wish the kids had been better behaved. Proves we don't get out much. They were just excited and in rare form. And I was irritable. Not a good combination.
Took today off as a spring break day. Spent the rest of the afternoon resting, trying to get better. Watched a great documentary called, Babies. Have you seen it? (Caution, you might not want your sons watching this. The Africans are half dressed, but culturally appropriate. )
Wednesday:
Still congested, tired and now irritable. Now Grace is sneezing and irritable. We managed to get our lessons done in the morning. I cycled a few loads of clothes. Made homemade spaghetti sauce in the crock pot. This was my last productive day this week. My list from Monday will have to be a do over!
My Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (or Gravy as an Italian friend calls it). I like making it myself because there is no added sugar or other stuff. I use powdered spices because of texture issues within the family. You can use what you wish. :-)
1# Italian sausage
4 - 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
Olive oil, about 1/4 cup
Garlic Powder, 1tsp.
Onion Powder, 1/2 tsp.
Basil, dried, 1tsp.
Pepper, to taste
Salt, 1/2 tsp.
Put sausage in crock pot on high for 2 hours with about 1/2 cup of water to steam it. Turn crock pot on low or warm (mine is too hot on low). Add rest of ingredients to taste. Cook for several hours. Serve over whole grain pasta!
| Thank you, Honey! |
Thursday:
Woke up feeling about the same as yesterday, congested and having no energy, in other words, miserable! So much for that nice list I wrote this week. I guess today will be another day of resting after lessons. Jeff gets off at 5PM today. That is worth celebrating! He is going to take the kids to karate for me and do some grocery shopping. What a guy. And he brought me some tulips!
![]() |
| Photo from Wikipedia |
Friday:
Another lost afternoon on the couch watching BBC documentaries. OK, so perhaps the day was not totally lost. I learned about the people of the Himalayas and Eastern Europe. It was almost like going there myself.
I also decided to make sure I stayed hydrated today. I think that was part of the problem yesterday. I also got out my Netty Pot. That is a life saver when I cannot breathe.
Saturday:
The last working Saturday! Hooray! Grace made a banana cake with my mom to celebrate the occasion. The boys and I will not do too much today. I feel better, but need to keep resting. My goal for today is to get dinner made and fold clothes. I might even process the dishes.
I realize that this was not a very interesting week to read about, however it is real life here at home. We managed to get our work done with 3 solid days of school. Not too bad for how I felt. I am just glad we made it to the finish line.
And thank you for your very kind comments about my last post. They made my day.
~Jenn


I'm sorry your list didn't get to be used too much this week. It's amazing how even the busiest weeks can clear when someone is sick.
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL tulips! I love spring flowers to brighten the season.
We only put in 3 solid school days this week too...with dentist, errands, and nursing home...life takes priority over academics.
Sounds like you got some things done, even though you were sick. Glad you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteDo you cook the sausage before you put it in the crock pot? I think it's interesting that you steam it like that first, just wondered if it needed to be cooked first or not.
(((Hugs))) I'm so sorry that you were feeling under the weather. It's so hard to deal with life when feeling tired and sick. ((praying))
ReplyDeleteI'll also being praying for your grandma. It's tough to watch age progression and feel helpless.
...and yes, I've had mental blocks on some activities.
I'm in a fog today myself...worn out from two sick children AGAIN. Ugh!
Enjoy a restful weekend, Tamara
I'd say you did pretty well for school considering you didn't feel well. We were like Jane, just too busy with outside things that it was hard to get the academics done.
ReplyDeleteTrust you'll be in top health now for a long time...got some serious camping to do, huh? :-)
Blessings,
Wendy
Wow, three days even with you getting sick, that is great!
ReplyDeleteI might have to try your "gravy" recipe. I have been experimenting.I have a hot crock pot as well.
You really did accomplish a lot. I do hope you are feeling much better today. Banana Cake? Is it like Banana bread? My children love banana bread. I like your Spaghetti Gravy ( like that too!) recipe. Its so simple and uses basic stuff. Will be trying it this week.
ReplyDeleteAnd YES I have memory issues with activities that we do every week all year long. It bugs me! Like you I write it down and write myself a note ect...for me its ( don't laugh too hard ) what time to pick the gals up after their enrichment classes on tue and thur.