Anyhow, the point of this post is not to chit chat. I want to talk about yogurt.
I've always wanted to try making yogurt in a crock pot. What could be more wonderful? What could be more wholesome? So, I did some searching and found this supposedly easy recipe.
My main concern was that my crock pot is a lot bigger than 4 quarts and it can get pretty hot on low. I also did not want to double the recipe since I had never tried it before. I wondered if I should use the low setting or the warm setting. Since I could not know without trying, I decided to give it a whirl on low. Although, I did it with some fear and trembling. How I hate to waste good milk!
| This is all you need? |
I can say that I am not going to try again right now because I will have to see about borrowing a smaller crock pot and then get more precious milk. I really did think that I followed the simple directions faithfully.
Oh well, you live and learn. And, I really love my Trader Joe's big containers of yogurt, so... maybe I won't bother to try again at all. But if you find a good recipe to try and have success, please come back and tell me. I still think it is a neat idea.
I'm sorry your yogurt didn't turn out. I didn't know you needed yogurt to make yogurt...I see it's for a starter. The recipe looks simple enough...must be the heat thing. Yes, with the price of milk now days...one hates to waste a drop. Maybe next time...if there is a next time.
ReplyDeleteThoughts: Could you put the yogurt containers on trivets (or foil) to keep them from direct heat? Or perhaps in an inch or two of water like you do for custard in the oven? Crockpots are tricky things and mine run hot, too. Hm-m-m...sounds like a good idea and I'll be interested if anyone has an answer.
ReplyDeleteOh I do hope you did not throw out the "yoghurt soup". It is good in smoothies or mixed with fruit. Healthy even if it did not become solid.
ReplyDeleteMy guess is your temp high as you said. Honestly your oven works just as well. Just turn it off! Make sure to put a sign on the door to tell others not to use it.
Temp should be no more than 100 degrees when you wrap the pan in towels. You do not have to make such a large batch. Try smaller amounts.
Using the crockpot is tricky as keeping the heat just right is hard.
I use to make it by the gallons using fresh milk with just a heating pad and a blanket. Worked on a farm and that was one of my jobs every day.
Don't you wish the yogurt could tell you what went wrong? I am still working on mine, I will let you know when I get good yogurt!
ReplyDeleteThat's cool that you gave it a try. I had a yogurt maker, but never did use it. I think I gave it away to someone. We are just not huge yogurt eaters here. I guess if it was here we would eat it, but I just never got around to trying to make it. Good job on trying.
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
I have never heard of making yogurt in a crock pot, so was very interested in the outcome. Sorry about the soup.But, you never know unless you try. :)
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
We make it in the oven, and it is so easy! But everything depends on the starter and the temperature. I hope you will try again, because it is great to be able to eat yoghurt for a decent price.
ReplyDeleteAnd you never need to throw it out; it's always good for baking, smoothies, or something like that.
Have a blessed weekend.
Annie Kate