![]() |
| I know that many of you already love Elsie. I am just so excited that it is finally my turn to get to be an Elsie fan that I had to write about this sweet series. |
The day is finally here! My daughter just started
I had been waiting and waiting for my little girl to have the desire to read these books. We even checked one out last year from the library, but she didn't quite connect then. I thought about buying the whole set once or twice, but at that retail price, I knew I should wait. Thankfully, our library has some of the original books and the rest we can read via the Nook for free! (Aside note: Why did they feel the need to write an adapted version, leaving out important information and ideas? Ugh! Poor children these days!)
I also just read the first book, to get an idea of what Elsie is all about. Again, I cannot imagine a more godly child. Sometimes it is a bit unreal how much she stands for her convictions. Puts me to shame! My daughter says that Elsie is inspiring to her! Indeed she is to me as well. If only I had such a faith as she. I cannot wait to read the rest. I am kicking myself that I did not buy your books, Sally!
So, if by chance you have a little girl or two at home, and perhaps you've not heard of Elsie, I cannot more strongly recommend this series. If I had to do it over, I would have started reading them to Grace first, perhaps a year ago. I think that would have caught her heart quicker. Or I could have had her listen to them for free via Librivox. I am just so glad that she is interested now. I can see how the example of Elsie's obedience to the Word of God will help my little girl consider her own ways and follow suit. At least that is my prayer!

Wow, Grace is loving the original series with all the antiquated language...she is a good reader.
ReplyDeleteAmber loves them too. I bought them for her a little young and she said the first time reading she didn't understand them or appreciate them as much as she did a few years later. Glad you are enjoying them too.
I loved Elsie as a child, but my 3 girls can't stand to read. They have missed out on so many wonderful books. You are truly blessed to have a daughter that loves to read.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I am interested in reading an Elsie book now! Just to see what we missed when you and Becca bug were little. To have Elsie as a Godly girl role model for Grace is a blessing. As a preteen, she needs all the religious inspiration she can absorb.:)
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Sounds like a good series. Glad Grace enjoys reading them.
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about getting the series for my girls. Thank you for the review.
ReplyDeleteMy girls enjoyed Mildred Keith more than they did Elsie. She is a little bit older, however.
ReplyDeleteLife of Faith has books on some of the Elsie characters, and they are good also:
Laylie's Quest
Kathleen Mackenzie series
Violet Travilla
LOF is recently out of business, but you can probably find these used.
What a great idea to hear Elsie on Librivox. Must do that for Emily!
Yeah! More books for my ereader. :D Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI have wondered about this series. The one's at our library are the "updated" versions...I will have to scour garage sales and the used book sales or order them.... thanks for the information!
ReplyDeleteI started reading Elsie at age 9. I've read the first fourteen books (most of them multiple times) and LOVED them. Elsie is very inspirational and the books have opened my eyes to the high standard of living God has called us to. Just a caution--there is a lot of racism in this series (Elsie owns slaves) which can be kind of confusing since Elsie's a good role model in just about every other way.
ReplyDeleteKeep in mind this was written in the mid 1800's. Children were expected to obey with no question, be pious, and punishments were more harsh. I would not want any girl to copy her character which is one dimensional. She cried way too much and called herself naughty over the littlest things. The poor child just wanted her father's love in the beginning. I am not saying you shouldn't teach them manners and punish them but not when it crosses into legalism and abuse. I am almost through with the first book and almost liking her father now.
ReplyDelete