Thursday, April 7, 2011

In Which We Study Prudence

If only a fairy could wave her wand...

What is prudence?  

prudence

PRU'DENCE, n. [L. prudentia.] Wisdom applied to practice.






Prudence implies caution in deliberating and consulting on the most suitable means to accomplish valuable purposes, and the exercise of sagacity in discerning and selecting them. Prudence differs from wisdom in this, that prudence implies more caution and reserve than wisdom, or is exercised more in foreseeing and avoiding evil, than in devising and executing that which is good. It is sometimes mere caution or circumspection.

Prudence is principally in reference to actions to be done, and due means, order, season and method of doing or not doing.





This month begins our study of prudence.  We just finished our formal study of wisdom, not that we will ever arrive. Now we attempt to put wisdom into action.  Much harder to do than it should be.





The specific area we are looking at is taking care of ourselves. This includes eating well, exercising, keeping clean, getting enough sleep, and other good habits.

One of my goals in this area is to increase our daily physical activity.  We might go for a walk or a bike ride.  We may go to a park and explore.  We will have to overcome my natural tendency to be at rest! 


I have already purged our pantry of white floury junk.  Now, I want to find healthy treats to bake.  (Is there such a thing?) The whole grain oatmeal raisin cookies that I made had too much fat and sugar to really be called healthy.  Maybe we should make some gingersnaps and angel food cake?

We also have one child who has  an aversion to keeping clean and tidy.  I know this is just an age thing.  When I was this same age, I was the same way.  However, it is an area that needs improvement.

And Mr. Teen needs to learn that going to bed at a decent hour is imperative to his well being the next day. 




My sincere hope is that my children will take these lessons to heat  before it is too late for them.  Sometimes I really wonder if I am reaching their hearts with anything!  If only there was a magic wand to wave and all would be prudent, including myself.  Lots of prayer is needed, for certain.


Here are some of the verses we will be studying.  

"The prudent sees danger and hides himself,
   but the simple go on and suffer for it."  Proverbs 22:3




"The wise in heart shall be called prudent."  Proverbs 16:21

"The simple believeth every word:  but the prudent man looketh well to to his going."  Proverbs 14:15

"He that regardeth reproof is prudent."  Proverbs 15:5

6 comments:

  1. "The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it." That's the one I find very difficult to pass on.

    It's not a teen thing, I suppose, to be prudent, but we keep on working on it. And I do, too.

    Enjoy your study; it will be so worthwhile!

    Blessings,

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Bible word studies! We just had a mini-lesson on Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding after something that was said in last Sunday's sermon wasn't quite right...I'm always admonishing the girls to be Bereans and search the Scriptures.

    I like the word, Prudence. That should be a good study this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it will be a good study. Remember, children are no more perfect than we are. :) That being said, consistency is always the key. Though it's hard for me to be consistent sometimes. I'm sure there are healthy snacks out there to bake, just keep searching for them. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I could use more of all these wisdom's in my life!!

    It's wonderful to keep working towards these things and how wonderful that you are instilling these things in your children early.

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to use this, I love the 1828 dictionary as well. When my kids have to look up a word for their frontline club, they have to use it since the only other dictionary we have right now is a children's dictionary which doesn't have many of the words we need to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great verses to go along with your study. And we ALL need a hefty dose of wisdom and prudence, I think!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails