Thursday, March 3, 2011

This Week At Home

In which we have a normal week.


On the Heart and Mind:
 
Thankfulness comes to mind.  I am thankful for this quiet week.  Trevor is all better.  We lost a little sleep this week from violent storms, but it could have been much worse.  It was for some not too far from us.  Roofs were lost during the night.  I am grateful for safety, even if we were robbed of our sleep one night.

Life and Learning:

We have had a great week of lessons.  The biography of Mother Teresa is a fantastic read.  It has made me very sorry that I did not pay much attention to her when she was alive.  I find it fascinating that she was in India for 15 years before she saw the poverty around her as a problem.  Once she started to see others as "Jesus in disguise", she totally changed her focus.  The book is graphic about the poor dying destitute people of India.  And the daily finding of babies in garbage cans just breaks my heart!  I am so glad we are reading this book.

We are also very much enjoying the book, Shadow Spinner, by Susan Fletcher.  I am not usually a fan of middle eastern themes.  I do not enjoy reading about how people are ill-treated, especially the women.  This book is no different in that respect, however, the story is interesting and we are kept in suspense.  We can't wait to see what happens next.

I  added another book a few weeks ago that I forgot to mention, Wisdom and the Millers by Mildred A. Martin.  We read this book before when the kids were very young.  Each chapter is based on a verse or more of Proverbs.  There is a simple story that goes along with the verse.  We are using this as our devotional at this time.



In the Kitchen:

We made peanutbutter cookies for our AWANA leaders this week.  Other than that, it has been more of the usual.  This weekend is a big birthday for my oldest, he will be making his cake with my mom, a much loved tradition.  I will post pictures next week.  I almost forgot, Grace did make a cake all on her own last week.



On the Nook:

I've had too much fun this week reading more books from Louisa May Alcott. I read An Old Fashioned Girl, which was a total delight.  I am an old fashioned girl!

I also read Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power.  Now this is a bit of a different book from what I've read from her.  The story was good.  It was just different.  The main character, instead of being a goody-goody as usual in her books,is a big stinker!  She is after money and prestige.

Scripture Memory Work: 

This is my last week spent on these verses.  I drew a picture last week so that I could visualize the verses.  I am a visual learner, after all.

Quote of the Week:

"When you feel out of sorts, try to make someone else happy, and you will soon be so yourself."
An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

 

Thank you for taking the time to read about our week.
~Jenn

9 comments:

  1. Nice week, Jenn. We used Wisdom and the Millers last year as our devotional.

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jenn,

    Love all those books! Don't you wish we had hours more time in the week to just READ?! That's one thing I love about Sonlight for sure.

    And shades of spring--yay! We've got buds up like those, too. So exciting.

    Have a wonderful Friday and weekend!

    Wendy

    P.S. So glad everyone is finally well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great week. Is that flowers popping up already? Wow, we still have snow on the ground, we won't be having any new growth for a while. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice week review Jenn. Wow, you have bulbs coming up...ours are still under a foot of snow. I'm jealous!!!

    I LOVE the Miller books...one can never outgrow them.

    Nice to see Grace doing so well!

    Have a great birthday celebration(s) this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the cat in the sun photo! And the morning glory photo. Grace's cake is lovely. What a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading about your week - thanks so much for sharing it with us! Well done!!! to Grace on her cake - looks deeeelicious! Happy Birthday to your boy this weekend - they're growing too quickly, aren't they? Flowers are shooting up here as well, but thankfully the violent storms missed us. Only a regular storm. Must have picked up in intensity between me and you. :(
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving the table full of art supplies and school stuff! Someone else with a table like mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and nice coloring too Jenn!

    Thanks for your sweet comment...you are always such a great encourager.

    Gas up our way is 10 cents cheaper, so far. It's $3.54 in the Twin Cities and $3.44 here, but I found 1 station in our town that is $3.43 and then if you pay by check or cash inside, you get 3 cents/gal. off. So I was happy for that bit of savings. Now we just got a bunch of coupons with the local paper for 5 cents off per gallon - a bit of a price war going on I guess. I agree, the rate gas prices are going, we are going to have to limit our visits to my mom too.

    Yes, we LOVE Time Traveler...lots of copying and ink, but worth it.

    Have a blessed weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jenn,
    It's a pleasure to leave you comments. I'm blogging part-time, but that doesn't mean I won't visit my friends, i just had to slow down on all of the visits throughout the week and posting.
    I love the idea of drawing the verse, great tip!
    Grace is so grown up, I can't believe my eyes.
    Have a lovely week.
    (((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails