Someone who knows my love for Lake MIchigan sent me these amazing photos of icebergs reportedly in Lake Michigan. I say reportedly, because you cannot always believe every thing you are sent in an email. Even if they turned out not to be in Lake Michigan, they are amazing and worth a post here. The following text accompanied the pictures. If I knew who to give credit, I would. Despite that, enjoy these awesome works of art from the hand of our Creator.
"Icebergs in Lake Michigan sometimes have stripes, formed by
layers of snow that react to different conditions.
Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet
fills up with melt water and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.
When an iceberg falls into the lake, a layer of water can
freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a
green stripe.
Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up
when the ice sheet grinds downhill towards the lake.
Frozen Wave Pixs - Nature is amazing!
The water froze the instant the wave broke through the
ice. That's what it is like in Lake Michigan where it is the
coldest weather in decades. Water freezes the instant
it comes in contact with the air. The temperature of the
water is already some degrees below freezing.
Just look at how the wave froze in mid-air!!!
Jenn here, again. These pictures confirm my long standing belief that there are icebergs in Lake Michigan that never thaw, thus making the lake so cold all summer long! (lol) The main reason I cannot usually get much more than a toe into the water until Labor Day. But it sure is a pretty lake!
And alas, these photos have been confirmed to not be of Lake Michigan origins, just as I suspected. You can read more about it here on Snoopes.com.
A good reminder to always check first if you get an amazing forwarded email!






On Lake Michigan or not these ice bergs are beautiful! And any lake up there is COLD! I was up in Minnesota late August and Lake Superior was beyond freezing. I was amazed at how cold it was. I am so excited that I get to go visit with my sister again this summer.
ReplyDeleteLake Michigan or not, they are beautiful. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
These are stunning! I actually just got them in a forward last week--they are so exotic they seem they should be in the Antarctic or something, not on a fresh-water lake. Thanks for sharing them!
ReplyDelete