Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reading Out Loud


Every one who home educates their children has their own special way of doing things.  One of the joys of my day is reading out loud to my children.  I won't even allow myself to think about the day that ends! *sigh* 

Since the day we brought each child home from the hospital, we've been reading to them.  And even now that they are 13, 11 and 9, we are still reading.  I don't see that changing until perhaps when they leave college. (If they leave! *wink*) 

Naturally, Sonlight curriculum is an excellent fit for us, since it is based on good literature that is to be read aloud each day.  I cannot speak more highly of a curriculum, by the way.  We were blessed to find it way back when my oldest was in Kindergarten. 

We don't just read during the school year.  We even read in the summer. Daddy chooses a book or author and we read aloud all summer.  Last year we read several books by my favorite author Gene Stratton Porter. (Girl of the Limberlost, Laddie)

I am starting to think ahead about what books we will read this summer.  We have some camping trips planned. I can see us now all huddled around a fire listening to Daddy.  We just love it.

I think reading aloud actually brings us closer together as a family.  It's a warm, family moment where we stop and are focused on the same thing, together. (And doesn't involve a computer or TV!)

~Jenn

5 comments:

  1. I read aloud quite a bit but never enough. You sound as though you have a great routine of reading aloud. I do depend on books on cd to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love audio books too. Librivox.org is a favorite site for them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss reading outloud to my kids...they seem to have outgrown it. When the oldest was home on break ( he is the married one ) we read dr suess outloud. Just for fun. We also did books on tape a lot when their dad was in and out of the hospital and doing lots of physical therapy.
    Perhaps I shall try a read aloud once again. A classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We read aloud too and Sonlight is a good source. It does bring you together as a family & it's great when dad reads aloud too(as ours also does!).
    We still have little ones and so sometimes there are interruptions in our read aloud time, but it's good training.
    I hope we still read aloud when they're all grown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We read aloud every night before bed. The little girls have their story, and then big brother gets his very own. Needlessly to say, bedtime is quite a process, but it's so worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails