Monday, March 28, 2011

How I Survive The Budget

Hold on tight!


It's all a matter of mind-over-matter, keeping on budget, that is.  When it comes right down to it, if you have shelter, food, water, and electricity, you have what you need to survive.  (Perhaps electricity is a luxury to some, but not to me!)  With those things, you have much, much more than many people in the rest of this world.  I try to remind myself of this often.  It helps keep my wants in check. 

First of all, we have our budget on the computer.  My husband keeps track of it, although we worked together as a team setting it up.  I prefer to have a smaller set amount that I am in control of each week.  It helps me to know that I have "x' amount of money for the week.  When it is gone, I am done. Simple. Or at least that is the way it is supposed to work.  I am not always perfect.  (Don't ask me about feeding the birds.  *blush*  They are my one weakness.)

Our biggest expense weekly is food.  What money that is leftover is what we have for the week for non-food things we need.  If any is left, which is not normal, it goes towards the next week. 

For many years, while we were paying off debt, there would be fumes to live on for the rest of the week.  Now we usually end up even.  For awhile, ending up even would really bother me.  I'd think,"How are we ever going to get ahead this way?"  Reality is that we are not going to get ahead as long as we have kids! :-) 

One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard was simply,"If you don't have the money, don't go shopping!"  Wow, has that ever made the difference.  Truly, there is nothing that I need that can't wait until my budget starts over again the next week.  Oh sure, we might run out of things, but what is really so important going over my budget that I cannot wait a day or two or find an alternative already at home?   I've learned to get creative.  How many times do you run to the store for one thing and just get that one thing?  Also, going shopping just to look is looking for trouble.  Don't do it.  It is often better for my husband to stop on his way home for one item so that I don't go and find more things we "need" that are on sale. 

I remember being so depressed about our money situation, when we first got serious about our debt.  The budget was impossible, I thought. The only money I was allowed to spend was for groceries. That was no fun.  Once I got used to our budget, shopping became less of a thing I did for fun and more something I did so we had food and other things we needed on hand. It was not therapy! 

These days I have the opposite problem, I get grumpy when I have to part with money! I love the old saying of "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without."   


I think I've said every thing that I can think of about living debt free for now.  I hope this helps someone.  Like I said before, it was a long process, but worth it.  Of course, it would have been great if we had been wise and avoided debt in the first place.  Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher and we probably would not have learned as much if we did not go down this hard road.  Hopefully our kids will learn from our mistakes.

~Jenn

6 comments:

  1. Great post! We do things similar. I find the older I get I "want" less and enjoy what I have more. There is so much truth in being content with what you have and living within your means.
    I am blessed to be able to keep our food budget down by volunteering and working our church food pantry.
    Each year we look forward to our tax return! This boost the budget and we get to spend a little ( or a lot as is the case this year). We earmark the return for big ticket things like repairs, school items, and needed clothing. ( buy most stuff at the thrift store but gotta have new undies and shoes!)
    This year I get to go see my sister in Minnesota! And pay for the gals enrichment classes in advance! So excited about this.
    Have rambled on....blush! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,

    The good part about this journey that you're on is that it has an end! The rich reward is the freedom you see ahead. I cheer you on today and thank you for the encouragement you're being to your readers.

    May the Lord multiply your resources and add His increase!

    God bless your day,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are going so well for you with your finances. That is a blessing. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring post! I just found out that my hours are being drastically cut. DH hasn't worked in 3 months. He is self employed, and will not look for something else. On top of the finances, I'm dealing with a LOT of anger right now. Reading your post gave me some inspiration to make do with what we have and not be running to the store all the time. And more so, not asking dh to run to the store. I can ask him to pick up one item, and he will come back wtih 2 bags full. Whereas, if I need one item, I have the willpower to walk in, pick up the one item and leave. Your post got me to thinking too -- perhaps I should teach dd how to make bread in the bread machine. It would be cheaper. Or.....would it? Considering the electriciy it would use to make that bread?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you Jenn in the strides you and your beloved have made since we have known eachother. You are such an inspiration to others and a wonderful example to your children. ((BIG HUGS)).

    I've made great changes in that area too over the last several years. It helps living out in the country where good shopping is quite a drive away plus the fact that people out here aren't fashion conscience really helps. Now with gas prices up there, I save all my errands into one outting as much as I can and am satisfied with delayed gratification. My DH's workplace is facing another round of layoffs, and although we think we are okay...this little cloud will be hanging over our heads for another few weeks, so I watch our spending even more closely these days. Our lives are in HIS hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing a great job managing the money that God has provided!

    Interestingly, we don't "shop" and never have. Yes, when we need something we will look to find that specific item at the lowest price and won't buy it unless we have cash.
    But as far as shopping as a past-time or to get out of the house, I can honestly say we have never done that as a couple or with the children. It's a concept totally foreign to my kiddos, like butter on biscuits or pancakes...we don't do that either, really :-).
    Keep up the good work! Julie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails