A few times this winter, I'd see two Eastern Bluebirds come to my feeder. I did not think too much about it except that I knew they were probably very hungry to eat seed as they are mostly insectivores and they were probably incidentals. I also saw them eating the suet cakes, so perhaps that helped get them by.
Sunday, on a walk with my sweetheart, we saw them sitting in a tree across the street from our home. It dawned on me that we should try to feed them. So, my sweetheart, who is so very understanding of my bird crazy heart, took me to Wild Birds Unlimited and bought me a little feeder and some meal worms.
At that point, I did not know the worms were $10.25 a container. I started to doubt my ability to keep buying worms even if they ever did find my feeder. Oh dear. Don't start something you can't finish, I always tell myself. We were committed. I was ecstatic. Just thrilled!
So, a few days go by. I put out worms each day. I did not see any birds eating them, but they were always gone the next morning when I checked. Hm. Who was eating them? Could it be?
And then the best ever thing happened. They came while I was reading to the children! Four of them! Oh be still my ever loving bird heart! Yes, this throws me into hysterics. Text my sweetheart! Grab the camera! Rejoice! Will she get her mind back to lessons my kids wonder?
 |
| My new pets. |
 |
| The feeder and Shy Mama Bluebird. |
 |
| About to eat suet. |
 |
| Shy Mama waiting her turn. |
 |
| Mr. Dashing Bluebird. |
 |
| So sweet! |
 |
| Almost caught all four together. |
| | |
|
Oh, and yes, my baby Blue Jays are still coming for peanuts every day. And soon I will put out the humming bird feeder. And I want a garden? If I have to choose, I'll choose the birds. Don't start what you can't finish.
Oh they are lovely! We have a hard time getting photos of our birds at the feeder. But I so have enjoyed them this year. We have beautiful finches and bluebirds and cardinals. I am going to buy some mealy worms! Never thought of that. Great idea.
ReplyDeleteHad to change my blog background because the cute one with the buttons and birds just would not load properly.
Enjoy your birds! We just had a new to us one show up this morning...finch of somesort with lots of yellow.
Beautiful! That's funny Jenn, because I just bought some mealyworms for our bluebirds on Monday at Wild Wings or maybe the same place you went...I forget the name. ($2.99/100 or I think it was $9.99/500). The lady there said that some of the bluebirds are starting to stay throughout the winter...but not my bluebirds...their smart. I need to put some wormies out...they are still in the fridge...better not mistake them for leftovers. lol. I want to mix up some bluebird feed too from a recipe I have in a bluebird booklet I picked up a few years ago. We are expecting more snow tomorrow & the first part of next week...poor birdies.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful. What a treat for those birds who have endured the hard winter!
ReplyDeleteWe are that way with hummngbirds. Hubby even buys the expensive fancy dancy all natural with extra vitamins food for the silly things ;)
ReplyDeleteThey are adorable! I've seen some really pretty Blue Jays and Cardinals in our neighborhood. I get all excited when I see them.
ReplyDeleteSharity
How fun! So neat you could share in photos. We're bird-crazy here, too, with a feeder right out our breakfast nook window. We are starting to see some 'regulars' return, much to our deep satisfaction.
ReplyDeleteA few years back we started a bird journal, keeping it nearby the window to jot down our sightings and any other pertinent info. We've been woefully negligent in keeping it up, but the idea was fun. Maybe if we'd glued in photos of our sightings it would have been more appealing.
Happy spring! :-)
Two Bluebird stories:
ReplyDelete1. Sad Story (sorry).
We have a bluebird house right by our drive. Last Summer the bluebirds built a nest in it and laid three beautiful blue-green eggs there. The eggs hatched and we soon heard lots of chirping coming from the house. The chirping also caught the attention of our large male cat, Bandito. Bandito worked and worked at getting to those little birds until he was able to get the whole house off the tree. He then was able to paw the little ones out and...well the rest is history.
2. Funny Story
Same bluebird house but several years ago, we had bluebirds make a nest inside, lay four eggs, and after they hatched, mom and dad bluebird worked hard at taking care of their brood. We began to peek inside whenever mom and dad would leave to get food. Mom and dad didn't like this as they would repeatedly dive bomb us and snap their beaks loudly at us whenever we were near. Which was often by the way as the bluebird house was near the driveway and where we park the car. It's very unerving to have an angry bird flying straight at your face snapping his beak!