![]() |
| Just like this little guy, I can change too. |
I hesitated before I made this pubic knowledge, but accountability is the best policy, right? Here at Busy At Home, we are making some changes. (That sounds kind of like a business stating they are making a policy change, now that it is written. But actually, it is a bit of a policy change that I am making.)
As this family's Head of Homemaking, I see some changes that need to happen in the eating department. Refined flour and sugar consumption have slowly been on the rise for some time causing an equal rise in some of our waistlines, three of us to be exact. No one is pointing fingers. It is just a fact. All five of us need to eat better.
Therefore, our liberal dessert policy is being revoked. We are limiting sweets to certain celebrations or holidays. As much as it might pain us, it has to be done. I will be researching and developing healthier alternatives. Anyone have any healthy treat recipes to share?
I have already made some good changes, for instance, I stopped buying sodas, awhile ago, even diet ones. A certain addicted someone can get his at work. :-) We are eating less meat, too. I tossed out all the refined flour crackers, pasta, and flour. (Don't worry, it really wasn't much. The kids eat it as fast as I bring it home.)
Whole grains, lean protein, fresh vegetables, fruits, water and a lot less sugar will be our staples. We are also trying to move more by riding our bikes and taking walks as the weather allows.
It's not going to be easy. I've tried before and failed, several times. So ask me how we are doing, in about 6 months. I really want our family to eat better, to live better. I am the family's gatekeeper. I allow the junk in the house. I can keep it out as well.

I wish you all the best Jenn. That's a good policy no matter what the size of waist. I need to do something here too -- for my sake and just to get the others to eating more healthy.
ReplyDeleteThat's good, Jenn! A couple of things I've done recently is limit cokes and have more fresh veggies at every meal. Baby steps, right?!
ReplyDeleteSharity
Great job throwing it out and boy howdy do I need to do more. I have made some progress but not great progress.
ReplyDeleteIt's a big step but a good one. I can see when my kids are in a growth spurt, they are real hungry, more than normal. Then all of a sudden the hunger eases and they are taller. It's actually kind of interesting to watch. I hope things go well for you and the family. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
These plans are so good. I have been doing a lot of this too. I love how you referred yourself as the gate keeper. [o= I have allowed us to have one baked treat a week, usually on Friday or Saturday night. That helps us not to feel so deprived that we binge when we get a chance. All in moderation ...even moderation.
ReplyDeletePraying blessings on you all.
In Him<><
-Mary
Good for you, Jenn! That is a choice that will pay off for years. I commend you for the courage to do this BEFORE you have to as a result of a health crisis (when some of us have dived in...ahem).
ReplyDeletePlease visit my health blog, "Good Food, Good Health" sometime-- www.goodfoodandhealth.blogspot.com (link is on my blog also) --I have recipes and such that we've had to come to with gluten and candida issues. I've got a few sugar-substitute recipes, too.
I'm cheering you on from the sidelines! And like Sharity said, baby steps. It can be overwhelming if you try to do it all at once.
We have another week of school, then a week for spring break, and then we're making lots of changes to eating habits, chores & responsibilities, and more. The kids don't really know this yet... (bwahaha!)
ReplyDeleteHi Jenn! Great plan I recently began cutting out gluten, and I was amazed at how quickly I lost weight. I'd tried everything, but finally realized that I have a gluten intolerance. One of my sons has Celiac Disease, and the other has significant problems with gluten, although isn't Celiac. Try to cook without gluten if you can, and I'll bet you see some major changes very quickly.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I never cook with white sugar anymore. Neither of my boys can handle that, and it causes me to have low blood sugar problems (major headaches, I feel awful, etc). I use different things, but usually for baking, I use either organic maple sugar (I barter with a friend in upstate NY) or use organic evaporated cane juice. The kind Costco sells doesn't seem to be much better than regular refined white sugar, so I buy from a co-op. My boys handle that much better, and I don't have the blood sugar issues with it.
If you find that you crave sugar, weed your garden and eat some chickweed. It doesn't help right away, but after a few days of drinking chickweed tea daily, I stop having cravings. Chickweed also helps metabolize fats, as well as carbohydrates, so it is very helpful for weigh loss.
Best wishes!
Jenny in Alaska
We've been making some changes, too, although not as much as we should!! I hope you all do well...it's always hard in the beginning, but once you get used to it, its easier. That's what I tell myself, anyway! LOL
ReplyDeleteGod bless you - Julie