Friday, February 4, 2011

This Week at Home

 In which sickness returns, winter stops the world, and love wins.  


On the Heart and Mind:

Love is triumphant here!  My heart is full.  How could it not be? My husband worked so hard this past week to keep us going.  He went to the store several times.  He went to work.  He did all the laundry and dishes and cooking while I was sick.  He cleaned the family sick room when it really needed it.

Thank you, Jeff.  I really needed you and you were there, so willing to do what it took to get us through this rough week. 

Learning and Life:

This is a good time to discuss what happens in a home educating family when the teacher is sick.  NOTHING!!! For two days we were couch potatoes watching old movies.  Thankfully the ice storm hit or my guilt level would have been very high.  It was a blessing to this teacher's heart that the public schools were also unable to have school.

Despite all the yuckies in the house, a short school week was accomplished.  I was able to do our Sonlight read alouds for two days.  I am so glad my voice is back.  We missed reading.

Here are some spontaneous learning moments:

  • Grace wrote a short story about a cat who gets kicked out of its home for meowing at five in the morning.  She also wrote two friendly letters.  Grace cared for Trevor and I on Monday.  She made us lunch trays.  
  • Ryan decided to flip around the furniture in his room moving his desk and bed, cleaning everything in the process.  He made his own flow chart using Google Documents.  He read Wikipedia for hours on his laptop.  He also did his science and math programs on his own.  
  • Trevor watched so many episodes of Cyberchase that some science must have sunk in.  (lol)  
In the Kitchen:  Come back next week. We will be making cookies for Valentine's Day.   

On the Bookshelf:

I started A Rose in Bloom, by Louisa May Alcott. Sweet, sweet!  Miss Alcott may not have considered herself a great writer, but I do.  I love how she weaves in themes of purity and good Christian values.  Oh, and any book that correctly uses the word, twaddle, is superb!  

Scripture Memory Work:

Taking a review week.  


Quote of the Week:

I did not read any great quotes this week, but I did see this really funny picture.  



*~*~*~*~*~*


Have a wonderful weekend.
Gracefully Yours,
Jenn

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. Glad things are getting back to normal. What a great hubby to do all that! And yes, I like the sign too. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book. Glad things are getting back to normal. What a great hubby to do all that! And yes, I like the sign too. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stopping in to get all caught up on your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that sign! Haha - last year my boys wanted snow, so they prayed. We got more snow than we've had in like 30 or 40 years! Our friends blamed them :-)

    The cyberchase comment cracked me up!

    You had some wonderful caretakers. What a blessing!

    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're feeling better! It's nice that you were smart enough to just lay around!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are all feeling better, What a blessing your family is to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet hubby you have, it's great to hear how he took care of you. And I love that last picture, so appropriate. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. ((((Hugs))) I'm so sorry to read that you've been sick again :( It seems like it's been a winter of a lot of sickies.

    Love that church sign, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Jenn,

    Praise God you're all doing better! Sounds like teamwork at it's finest. :-) Fun to see everyone's "after-the-storm" photos.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend and a good week to getting back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenn,

    I hope you are feeling much better.

    Being that we are only an hour north of you, we also took some days off from school, due to the weather. And then, dd got sick and started running a high fever accompanied by a sore throat, so we still didn't get much done this week.

    My boss had to come pick me up one day because we couldn't get out, due to the thick ice. Being that I was working in the ER that day, it was kind of important for me to be there! LOL! It was a busy day too -- 4 critical patients, so things got really crazy really quick. I'm actually on OT hours today, and am really looking forward to being off tomorrow. I just hope I can find the energy to make it to church!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenn,
    I'm glad you're all starting to feel better. I love Louisa May Alcott's books, too. They're just as nice for mom as for the kids, I think. :)

    I love that sign! When we had a very snowy year a few years ago, someone made a sign that said something like, "FREE! All the snow you want." and put it at the end of the driveway.

    Have a blessed Sunday!

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoping you are all well by now! We still have sick ones in our home. My how this winter has seemed so long.
    I love it when my kids move their rooms around and clean all on their own. My oldest always uses graph paper to figure out what will fit where. Good math!
    The book sounds wonderful. I need to find that one.
    What a blessing your dear husband has been.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tip about the book "A Rose in Bloom" I need to check if my library has it.
    Love the flowers.
    Thanks for the encouragement with the verse. We are keeping the verses we didn't learn too well for next year. I am really being blessed by the accountability and the support, thank you so much. you are a blessing!
    (((hugs))
    katia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha! I love that sign.

    Bless your husband for taking such good care of you all. We did a lot of 'unschool' science last week as well. Sometimes life happens and you just have to go with the flow. ;-)

    Praying the sickies take leave and that you are able to get a break!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails