Friday, February 25, 2011

This Week at Home

In which, we start really slow and catch up, despite it all! 


On the Heart and Mind:

Our weekend away last week, while wonderful, took its toll.  Trevor came home with a fever of 102F and has been struggling all week with tiredness and congestion.  I came home with some kind of stomach flu or food poisoning.  Therefore, I did not even get out of bed all day Monday to face the world!  It was Wednesday before I felt normal. Otherwise, the weekend was wonderful.

 Shelf ice on Lake Michigan. 

 Grace's dress matches the cake!  (Unplanned) 

 My little men! 

Learning and Life: 

We took off Monday to recover and Thursday was a day for the kids to play with my Mom.  Because of our flexible schedules as homeschoolers, we will still be able to get our planned 5 days of lessons this week.  We will just do Saturday school while Daddy is working overtime.  It all works out in the end! 

Despite our unusual schedule this week, we finished Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling.  There were a few stories that really captured the kids' imaginations.  For me, I found the language  hard to read aloud sometimes.  He would use nonsense words, kind of like Dr. Seuss. Otherwise a fun book.

We finished a short book on the culture of India, and started another book on the people of India. We also read an entire short book on Gandhi.  We started a biography about Mother Teresa and a couple fictional books, one called Shadow Spinner and the other, Ali and the Golden Eagle.   So far Shadow Spinner is very interesting.  I'll write more about that next week.

Math Tacular is working out just the way I hoped.  It is a good way to put into practice the skills we have learned this far.  The story problems in Math Tacular 4 are just what we needed.  The review games in 3 are fun too.  Long division is on hold for another time, which really is OK.

 Isn't it beautiful? I could sit here for hours and just stare.  


 Scary!

In the Kitchen:  

Friday:  Breakfast Night
Saturday:  Cheeseburgers
Sunday:  Roasted Chicken
Monday:  Stir Fry & Spring Rolls
Tuesday:  Homemade Pizza
Wednesday:  Pasta & Homemade Maranara Sauce
Thursday:   Chicken Soft Tacos

Waiting at Grandma's House.


On the Nook:

I had a great deal of time to read while I recovered this week.  I devoured Lousia May Alcott's Little Men, which is so dear!  I've uploaded her An Old Fashioned Girl, however, I really need to get back to Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+U+LA, by Barbara Edtl Shelton.  Maybe I'll do a little of both.  *wink* 

 My little woman! 

Scripture Memory Work:

Week two of working on Proverbs 3: 21-23 NLT

21 My child, don't lose sight of common sense and discernment. Hang on to them,
22 for they will refresh your soul. They are like jewels on a necklace.
23They keep you safe on your way, and your feet will not stumble. 
 
 
 I bought myself some spring! 
 
Quote of the Week:  
 
Another quote from Little Men.  
"Simple, generous goodness is the best capital to found the business of this life upon.  It lasts when fame and money fail, and is the only riches we can take out of this world." 

Our front walk this morning.  (It won't last!)  

So, that is our week, my friends, another beautiful week of learning and life together at home. 

~Jenn

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week, except for being sick. Glad you are all recovering. Hope you have a great weekend, and I love the pictures. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, indeed! Love Grace's dress!

    I think I have a copy of Little Men somewhere.....I always leave your blog wanting to read something! hehe :-)

    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you were sick! My youngest had that last Friday. And read Little Men as she was recouperating over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week (except the sickness). Oh, pooh, now I forgot what I was going to say...I'll think of it...later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, now I remember, I hate it too when some books are hard to read because of odd language. And I love your Lake photo...that's how I feel looking at the Atlantic Ocean. Nice photo of the kiddos all dressed up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I could look at the lake for ever. This past summer I got to experience Lake Superior. It was amazing. Spent literally hours on its shores combing for agates and just listening to the surf.
    The shelf ice is really neat. I would love to see that in person.
    Hope you are all feeling much much better. We still have sick ones here ( now it dh ) and I am so ready for warm weather all the time. Not cold and then warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you are feeling better! How great that Grace matched the cake, so cute and so lady like! I enjoyed Little Men almost more than Little Women but I really enjoy Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see the photos, especially the lake. Almost looks like the ocean! Glad you're feeling better...may you all stay well and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my to have sickness going on in your home still is a shadow reminder of what is going on in mine. It's just lingering and lingering and a bit different but every week someone here is sick. I will be praying for health to be restored.

    Your daughter's dress is so pretty :)

    I am amazed at how much you got done, too!

    Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jenn,
    it sounds like you had exactly what I had, it took me several days to feel OK again...then it came back again this last Saturday.
    I must look up for these books you are reading as part of my summer read.
    I am pressing on with my verse this week. I did OK with it in the last 2 weeks, but must really make a better effort.
    Our snow is gone :( Wasn't that some rain last night?
    Have a wonderful day,
    (((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails