Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review: An Amish Love

I am still kicking myself for choosing this book.  I do not usually read contemporary Christian fiction, most of all love stories.  I fell prey to my love of learning about different cultures.  Big sigh. 

I do not like being negative.  I do not think this is a horrible book.  It is just not my genre.  I love good historical fiction.  I guess I was hoping for a similar experience.  I love learning through literature, good literature.  This book is not literature.  I was hoping to gain insight through good descriptive writing into a culture that I find very interesting, the Amish. 

I am certain there are redeeming qualities of  An Amish Love, Three Amish Novellas by Beth Wiseman, Kathleen Fuller, and Kelly Long, if you are into such books.  I was not able to get past the stereotypes, poor descriptions and lack of insight into the Amish culture.

The three novellas are set in the same town.  Three different love stories are presented with similar themes.  Each set of characters has made poor choices and there are consequences to pay.  The one neat thing is that they all seem to meet up at one restaurant in town in the different stories. 

The stories are quick to read.  If someone really likes Amish fiction, I think they would like this book.  There are also recipes at the end and a study guide.  The point of the study guide is if you want to have a group discuss the book. 

NOTE:  I received this book free of charge from the publisher for my honest review. 

3 comments:

  1. Amish 'romance' seems to be the hottest trend right now. I reserved a similar book by a different author because of a recommendation on another blog. I hope I am not disappointed.
    I too, like historical fiction.
    Right now I'm reading 'The Eagle of the Ninth'(Sonlight) and really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at that book at the bookstore the other day, but didn't get it. I suppose I might enjoy it for a quick read. I love Amish books. However, I pretty much stick to Beverly Lewis though.

    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not terribly surprised...I tend to not have a very high opinion of contemporary Christian romance. And with such a steady diet of good literature in Sonlight, it sets the bar pretty high. I guess if books like this point someone to God's way of relationships, then it has value. Maybe it's just a matter of taste! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails