Sunday, January 30, 2011

This Week at Home

In which,brevity wins.

On the Heart and Mind: 

There has been much on my mind this week, all thoroughly covered in earlier posts.  At this moment, I am physically struggling again with congestion.  I am wondering if it is an allergy problem.

On the Home Front:

Another quick paced week of putting out fires and trying to keep up.  All the basics were well tended to.


Learning and Life:  

Our lessons could not have gone better.  We finished The Land I Lost.  This was a big hit with the boys.  Sometimes we girls have got to endure books for them and they for us.

We started two books, which seem to have great potential, a biography on William Carey and Daughter of the Mountains by Louise Rankin.  William Carey is the great missionary to India.  Daughter of the Mountains takes place in Tibet.  It describes the adventures of Momo, a little girl who wants a very special dog. 

Grace finished an excellent book that needs high praise, Pearl Maiden by Henry Haggard.  The major theme of this book is do not marry outside your faith.  You can read it for free via gutenberg.org.  The reading level is about 8th grade to adult.  Next she will be reading Lysbeth:  A Tale of the Dutch, also by Henry Haggard. 

For math this week we worked on other skills like Roman numerals, basic fact reviews and just a little long division to keep our wheels turning.  Hopefully next week we can revisit long division.  It seemed to go well. 

Our research papers were stalled a little.  They did research on their own, but not a lot is being written down yet.  Since I have planned 4 weeks to get this done, I think we are close to being on target.

In the Kitchen:  

Grace made smoothies twice this week.  I had forgotten how much I like them.  Her basic recipe is 1 cup of frozen fruit, 1 cup of yogurt, 1 cup of juice.  Her measurments are not precise.  Sometimes I think she uses less juice and more fruit.  The results are are always delightful. 

This week's menu:

Friday:  White Chicken Chili
Saturday:   Homemade Pizzas
Sunday:  Tacos
Monday:  Stir-fry
Tuesday:  Soup Night
Wednesday:  Breakfast Night
Thursday:  Roasted Chicken


On the Nook:  

I switch back and forth between reading from the Nook and listening to Eight Cousins via my computer.  I plan to finish the book soon and go onto A Rose in Bloom.  It amazes me that we have time to read for fun with all the reading we do for school, which is also fun!

Scripture Memory Work:
I put my verses on the side bar of my blog.  It is getting harder, adding more verses.


Quote of the Week:
I looked on childrearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully interesting and challenging as any honourable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring to it.
-- Rose Kennedy
 ****
I leave you with this picture, taken by my husband with his cellphone.  He went grocery shopping for me this week and bought me these beautiful flowers.  
Thank you, Darling!  
 Good bye to January!  
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers! Please do share your White Chili recipe with us.
    Are you ready for all of the snow, we might be getting?
    ((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was lovely to hear about your week. I'm really fascinated by the "breakfast night" inclusion in your menu plan. Have you blogged about this somewhere else? Sounds fascinating. Blessings, Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You list far exceeds my own:
    1- Did not strangle kids.
    2- Did not strangle husband.
    3- Did not strangle dogs.
    4- Ignored fish.
    The end ;)

    We do breakfast for dinner a lot as well. Sometimes, I think it tastes better at dinner than breakfast time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good week. Hope you are all on the mend soon. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quote from R. Kennedy! Such a good perspective.

    God bless your week!

    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flowers!
    We love love love breakfast for dinner. Its really a favorite. But then we eat dinner for breakfast...( pizza!) hmmm
    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great week! Pretty flowers, too.

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails