On the Heart and Mind:
At this moment, all is peaceful in my world. (The children are asleep.) Let's see. I am grateful for technology that allowed me to keep in contact this week with family as far away as Peurto Rico to Arkansas to California. Just think how blessed we are in this age! The people I love are always a click away.
Oh but suddenly, the weather has taken a change for the worse! Today we woke up to 0 degrees. The windchill is -9. We will be lucky to see 11 degrees. I know that many others are a lot colder than Indiana today, but we are not used to this. I am so thankful for a warm house. We will not be going out to get groceries today as I planned. We will make do for one more day. (Melissa, I can hear you laughing at me!)
Jeff's birthday was splendid, well, at least from my point of view. He did have to go to work and it did take him two hours to get home last evening in the snow. I made him a big hearty dinner, complete with cherry pie. (No, I did not make it. I did bake it though.) The kids gave him some of their hard earned money too. It was a sweet time.
On the Home Front:
Well, this is where I am supposed to tell you how much cleaning and organizing I got done this week. Perhaps you will allow me to tell you my excuses for this lack of progress?
I find that when we are really making good progress on our lessons, the house suffers. I have one independent learner and two highly dependent learners. They require my complete attention from 8:30 AM until 2PM. (Now, I know some people are able to train their kids to teach themselves, but I have two learners who are just not ready for that.)
For me, school is a full day's effort! My brain is drained by 2PM. I enjoy this time with them, do not misunderstand. However, like all working mothers, the best of me is spent and working on my house is difficult. Thankfully, the basics get done, emergencies get tended, I provide tasty meals on schedule, and most of the time I would not be embarrassed to have someone drop in. I am talking about deeper cleaning, not just surfaces. I am talking about my dream cleaning schedule.
Therefore, this is why I am taking today off from lessons. Yesterday was our 100th day of school. I want to take today to get the house in order, do some baking, and ponder how to make the last 80 days of school our best ever. I want to finish strong and I want a clean house!
Learning and Life:
For the last two weeks, my two dependent learners have been struggling with long division. I have to walk them through every step, every time. It's like I have to do their thinking for them! Well, this frustrates and confuses me. I am not good at being patient, waiting for the lightbulb moment. Like I said, my oldest is independent and has been teaching himself math for three years. So, I think it is time to back off a little. My plan is to go back and review some of the more basic skills and just do one division problem a day instead of a full worksheet. What do you do when you hit a wall?
Otherwise, learning is going so well. Ryan and Grace have chosen their research paper topics, written their thesis statements and chosen their questions to answer. They have also been reading about their topics on Wikipedia. I wish I had Wikipedia as a student.
We started two new books, The Land I Lost by Huynh Quang Nhuong. They love this book! "More, more!" they say. True confession time, I don't like this book, but am reading it because it is an excellent book about life in Vietnam. The book is filled with stories of how villagers must fight jungle animals to survive. Still, they love it?
The second book is, The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. Because one of the main characters happens to be a Siamese cat, of which I am most fond, I like this book. However, shame on the Hunter Family for entrusting their pets to such a careless man! (Yes, I am indignant!)
In the Kitchen:
Friday ~ Meatloaf
Saturday ~ Lasagna
Sunday ~ Roasted Chicken
Monday ~ Chicken Soft Tacos (from leftover chicken)
Tuesday ~ Stir Fry & Egg Rolls
Wednesday ~ Breakfast Night
Thursday ~ Soup & Bread Night
Today, I plan to bake some pumpkin bread to take to flock group. I may also make some cookies to bring. I want the kitchen warm and the house smelling good!
On the Nook: (or Computer, as it turns out)
Grace and I have been enjoying Eight Cousins by Lousia May Alcott via Librivox.org. We listen as we work. I will say that this is a most pleasurable book and I love getting the home basics done as I listen. I cannot wait to listen to A Rose in Bloom , also by Miss Alcott, next.
Scripture Memory Work:
I added the second verse to the passage I am learning. It is a simple verse so I am doing well. It is harder when I have to put them together.
Psalm 77: 11-12 ESV
"I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds."
Quote of the Week:
"As sure as ever God puts his children in the furnace, he will be in the furnace with them."
~Charles Spurgeon
Thanks for hanging in through this long-winded post!
I wish you a very happy weekend,
Jenn




What a wonderful wrap-up Jenn. So nicely written...I just wanted to stay a while. Great menu! Yes, that is the way it is here too...when we have a great school week, the house suffers. Right now, the house has been sufferning for quite some time. Today will be light school and lots of cleaning.
ReplyDeleteWe back off when we hit a wall, otherwise we are just spinning our wheels and not learning anyways. Anna hit a wall in math last year, so right now we are doing a rather easy Kitchen Math book and then we are going to try Life of Fred, and then see where we go from there. Usually if I just back off and put them on something easier (& funner to lighten up from burnout) for a while, within 6 months, they can wiz through whatever they were struggling with previously. I remember way back when I use to have problems with long division. I even had written out the steps on a little sheet of paper and keep it by each problem for what must have been forever until it FINALLY became automatic. It will come eventually.
Nice wrap-up, Jenn. Have a wonderful weekend. Love that quote.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Sharity
Good morning, Jenn. What a lovely wrap-up. Let's re-do it in real life, you, me, and Jane in my living room with tea. Or cocoa. :)
ReplyDeleteHave you tried double division? It worked for us with two kids. Then they figured out how to do it the other way. double-division.org Otherwise I am with Jane. Back off for a while. We might have to back off algebra for good, lol.
Sounds like all is going pretty good there. What LA program are you using?
ReplyDeleteGood to hear the birthday celebrations came together.
Praying blessings on your cleaning goals. I am thinking I'm going to have a goal to do one extra cleaning chore to my basics each day. I am hoping that will make a big improvement to my home.
I do really like the idea of having one division word problem each day. [0=
Blessings and ((HUGS))
In Him<><
-Mary
Sounds like a good week for you. Hope you get things working the way you want with cleaning & math. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Nice to have a 'peek' into your life and week, Jenn. I smile to myself when I read of your SL book comments...we did Core 5 three years ago and LOVED it. I wouldn't have missed that world trip! I still have very vivid "ew-w-w-w" memories of that Vietnam book! ha!
ReplyDeleteHave a restful weekend. :-)
Wendy
Long division is my dd's hated thing right now too. She totally understands, but always makes little mistakes that are tough for her. Everyday she has at least one problem assigned and it takes forever!
ReplyDeleteWow! Your weather is really cold.
ReplyDeleteYour menu for the week looks yummy :)
Let's see...when I've hit that wall, I've usually had to stop and pray and usually end up having my husband step in and figure out another way to help. I wish that I could offer better help, but I'm still hitting walls and learning along the way.
Have a lovely weekend!
It's sound like you had a very busy week. IKWYM by independent learners and not so independent. Anna has always been the type that needed me more, not so much now, but I know how your brain feels by 2PM.
ReplyDeleteGlad your hubby got home safely after all of that snow.
So happy we are learning scriptures together.
((hugs))
Katia
I think that menu sounds incredible! Your kiddos are lucky... smart to make extra chicken for tacos the next day. And thank you for reminding me that Miss Alcott wrote more than just Little Women. I'm excited to try her other works.
ReplyDelete