Sunday, January 23, 2011
Beating the Yuckies
It happened again. I am about at my wit's end, too. We've never had such a hard winter with colds and the like. My poor unsuspecting husband was the latest to succumb. (Although, 3 of his co-workers exposed him early last week, so perhaps we should not be surprised. You are only as well as your sickest co-worker, right?)
He was fine until Friday evening on the way home from flock group. I will not go into further details, but we did not sleep a wink all night. We figured it was food poisoning. Saturday, he said he felt better, so we ran a few errands in the morning. (We had to get the camper's license plate, you know!) By afternoon he had a glazed over look and a fever over 100.
I was both relieved and more worried at the same time. It probably wasn't food poisoning. When the fever came, we knew it was a virus. "A virus!!! Oh no!! Who is next?" my mind whirled. So out came the Lysol, 10 percent bleach spray bottle and lots of washing. And to bed he went.
Now, I come to the point of this little post. I am not a novice at homeopathic ways. I have been taking apple cider vinegar and vitamin C to boost my immunity. I am wondering what I am missing. I bought some elderberry pills tonight. I've heard they fight the flu and boost your immunity.
What are some of your best remedies to keep well?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hmmmm, no thoughts from me, sorry. But I am glad hubby is feeling better. I hope he's completely on the mend.
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Each night I had been taking Turmeric.. which is known to help boost the immune system as it major thing if the cleansing of the liver.. but alas despite my good efforts of taking it, I still came down with the sickies. Whatever it is that I have hit me like a freight train.. hard and fast... and sadly it has hit my son and the boy we are caring for too...
ReplyDeleteAlmost like the flu (achy,muscles feel like jello sleepy ect ect) but with cold like symtoms the next day... runny nose, cough, sore throat ect.
I hope your hubby recovers soon and you all are spared...
Oh, Jenn, we've just come off a round of all three of us having the yuck...and my daughter now getting over a second round! I pray the Lord will protect the rest of you and bring you out of this stuff quickly.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever tried Oreganol P-73? It's be the North American Herb & Spice Co. (you can google it). Very powerful against viruses of every kind. We take it first thing with high doses of Vit. C and then every 3 or 4 hours during the duration.
Also fresh garlic however you can get it down! A natural antibiotic.
God bless you all extra special tonight.
With prayer,
Wendy
Oh, Jenn, we've been sick here too. My three boys have had the flu. I've just basically been trying to keep everyone washing their hands religiously.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are all well soon!!
Lynn
Oh dear, this hasn't been your year. I don't have any homeopathic ideas except stay in a bubble all winter, but you know I swear (the good kind) by taking Dramimine & Gatorade for when one is sick to their stomach. An old country Dr. told me that once about 30 yrs. ago and it REALLY, REALLY works. You just have to take the Dramimine once or twice and it does the job of keeping things down. The Gatorade (or probably any like-sports drink) keeps one hydrated (any flavor of choice) and amazingly, after that, you start to recoup right away.
ReplyDeleteHi Jenn, I really don't know what all of the other ladies suggestions were.....my heart goes out for you. Last winter my family was hit with a viral sinus infection, it lasted us 6 weeks. One thing we did try was the Elderberry, but we had the syrup which also had achineachia(sp?), Vit.C, Zinc, Goldenseal. I buy ours at Wholefoods on 86th st. The syrup tends to work faster than the pills.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day, and I will pray this does not spread over your household. (((hugs))
Katia
I have been living on green tea with citrus, as well as pomegrantes, in an effort to at least reduce the yuckies around here.
ReplyDeleteWe picked up some wonderful stuff...at church don't ya know!
In fact, I am waiting to call the dentist right now, and reschedule our appts since I am sure he doesn't want an office full of snot monsters.
So sorry, Jenn. I don't know if you are looking for more do it yourself type stuff, but sometimes I just have to go for the premade homeopathic stuff - I used Oscillo last week with my 9 yo when he was yucky. I've used a few other homeopathic meds by that same company too. There website has a lot of good info and coupons too. http://www.oscillo.com/
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Sharity
We have had a rough go of it this winter with virus and colds. It seems someone is always sick with something.
ReplyDeleteWe use the lysol and bleach solution as well.
Praying you are all better by now! Blessings
Thank you all for your suggestions. You've given me a lot to research!
ReplyDeleteYour help is much appreciated.
Jenn
(((Hugs))) We've been hit hard this year, too but with our last cold bought I started the children on Osocillium. It has helped a lot.
ReplyDeleteI'm also starting to diffuse theraputic essential oils and trying to spray things down with a eucalyptus oil spray.
Many prayers....Tamara
Hi Jenn~
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that illness is camped out in your home!!! We take a good probiotic here (good bacteria in capsule or chewable [for the kids] form), and when illness invades and we need it gone FAST we go straight to the TheraFlu. For homeopathic cleanses, I burn orange oil, clean with my lavendar & tea tree oil cleanser, and drink lots of warm, decaf liquids. Hope this helps, and that you all feel better soon!!!
~Shani
Hi Jenn, thanks for stopping by on my blog. It is the height of summer in New Zealand at the moment, and in our city we have had temps this last week between 31 and 35 degrees celsius.
ReplyDeleteOur school year here starts at the beginning of February and continues until just before Christmas. We have a 4 term system, with 2-week holidays in April, July and October.
That's 38 weeks of school.
Look out for my next blog, Georgia has visited our local SPCA to see the cats.
God Bless, Lee-Anne
I forgot about liberal use of Vit B complex with C. They work well together.
ReplyDeleteHere's a "funny". We were one of the lucky ones who got swine flu a while back. Hubby brought it home from work...the hosptial! Well, it turns out that research shows people who HAD the swine flu are now more resistant to all other strains. Go figure. We haven't had the flu, just rampant allergies, as we are allergic to Texas. What luck!