Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Celebrating Life

It has not been my habit to celebrate non-major, mostly over commercialized, holidays.  Years in public school taught me to dread Valentine's Day's rejection and St. Patrick's Day pinches, not to mention April Fool's Day's pranks  Oh no, let us not go there! I am glad to have spared my children these horrors.


On the other hand, winter is long and I find myself actually craving a diversion this year that just might be afforded from such trivial holidays as the above mentioned.  I think this has to do more with a certain longing to go camping than anything else, now that I ponder further.  So, therefore, I declare that we are going to celebrate life this winter.

First, we are going to make Valentine's garlands, cards for one another, cookies in the shapes of hearts with sugar sprinkles.  We are going to purpose to share our love with others. 

I will no longer a winter holiday Scrooge.  I embrace the opportunity to amuse ourselves and spread a little of God's love to others. (And keep my sanity this long, long winter.) 

7 comments:

  1. Happy Tuesday, Jenn!

    I shuddered when I read your reminder of what public school holidays were like. Thankfully I had forgotten that. We celebrate Valentine's and St. Patrick's Day here, and lightly April Fool's. They are indeed festive days to look forward to during a long winter, but they're also days for sewing memories into our children's childhood. Every Valentine's Day my boys wake up and come out to a breakfast of heart-shaped whatevers and find a heart-shaped box of chocolates at their place settings. These are memories that will last, and that they will carry on to my grandchildren, as I have done. I love those kinds of moments. :) I ignore the commercialization of them and we make our own decorations. Much, much more special.

    I hope you enjoy the resuming of these Victorian holidays in your home this year. Have fun with it!!

    Blessings,
    Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your special winter celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forced myself to do just that at Christmas time. We hosted a homeschool gingerbread house making party. Just seeing the joy shared amongst the kiddos really made my heart glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul proposed to me on the day before Valentine's. And he always gives me gifts the day before, because he didn't want to do what everyone else does. He's done this for years. Then he surprised me last year by waiting until Valentine's day to give me candy. It was so funny, I kept expecting something on the 13th. He said he likes keeping me on my toes. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenn,
    Good for you. I think we should celebrate and make it special for our children. I love Valentine's day here in the US because children get to participate. In Brazil it's more like Sweetest Day here in the US.
    I will try to remember and send your darling kids a Valentine's card this year.

    So glad your son is helping you with your verse. Mine is coming slow this week. I have had 2 very busy days so far this week, it sort left me without thinking of it too much....however, as soon as read your c-box message, i went and read mine. You are wonderful! Thank you for the accountability.
    (((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jenn,

    I like your plan! And I'm sure the kids will appreciate the uplift it'll bring in your "long winter" as you say. God was always big on celebrations in the OT, seems to know that we need special times in the midst of the ordinary.

    By the way, I answered your question on my blog as a commentor...probably should have left it here. Oh, well.

    Blessings!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the more holidays the better!! My favorite thing to do for Valentine's day is to do a 'girls cookie baking and decorating night.' I think it's important to remember that it's about being girlie--not just about boys!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails