Friday, January 14, 2011

This Week at Home

Hard to believe another whole week has flown by.





On the Heart and Mind:

I am very thankful to be alive this week and feeling back to normal, almost.  

My mom is traveling this coming week and I will miss her. My dear grandma was diagnosed with pneumonia two weeks ago and thankfully, she has continued to do well. I hope to visit her this coming week, if every one stays healthy.

My husband's mandatory overtime without pay has started.  This year I am not going to allow myself to get upset.  The three months will go by and then we will have him back, again.  Not every one is that fortunate.  In the meantime, I will keep myself busy with the affairs of this house. 

View from Mom's hotel.



On the Home Front:

The list I wrote myself on Monday is slowly getting checked off.  I tend to keep up with the laundry, dishes, trash and a general tidy, but anything extra is, well, extra.  Perhaps it is because I am in recovery mode.  I have pushed us this week with lessons.  By the time we are done, I am done.  I have enough to get the basics done and then it is time to get dinner started.  Another day is gone!






Learning and Life: 

We are back to full speed with outside activities with gym class, dance class, AWANA, and karate.  I am so glad that we are not in a co-op, too.  Although I miss the fun parts of a co-op.

This week we finished two of the three books we started last week. We finished Water Sky and Wolves of Willoughby Chase.  Both books were very enjoyable.  The kids would not let me stop without multiple chapters being read at once.  It's amazing that my voice held out, day after day! 

We continue to love the book Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? I am going to have to find more in this series of Uncle Eric Books.  Excellent!  I hope my library has a few we can borrow.  

We'll be starting some new books this next week. Can't wait!



In the Kitchen:

Still no baking this week.  We really do not need me to be baking!  There is enough Christmas candy still around.  I did make a lovely menu for this coming week.   Want to see it? 

Friday:  Homemade Pizzas & salad
Saturday:  Bacon, egg, and cheese bagels & fruit
Sunday:  Chicken tortillas & corn
Monday:  Chicken stir fry with vegetables, spring egg rolls & rice
Tuesday:  Pancakes & fruit
Wednesday:  Spaghetti, homemade garlic bread & broccoli
Thursday:  Chicken & noodles, green beans  (Jeff's birthday) 


On the Nook:
No time to read for fun this week.  (As if I needed more reading this week!)  I am still slowly making my way through the Old Testament this year. I did download a $3 Wiki Book for my computer genius son.  Now there are three of us wanting to share one Nook. 



Quote of the Week:

"The secret of discipline is motivation. When a man is sufficiently motivated, discipline will take care of itself." – Alexander Patterson 


That's been my week. I hope yours has been a good one, too.  I am looking forward to the coming week, as we have a birthday to celebrate. 
~Jenn

PS My new camera is in the shop.   It will be three weeks, hopefully not longer.  This will make blogging a challenge!

13 comments:

  1. What a great week you had. I love the quote, it's absolutely true.
    IKWYM, by our husbands working overtime without pay. Mark does that too. There is no hope for him to get a raise in at least 2 more years, but like you we are very content and thankful he has a job.
    Have a wonderful day.
    (((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Jenn,

    Nice to hear from you! Thanks. Enjoyed your post this a.m....and especially the quote about discipline. Wow, so good. When it comes to kids, the trick is to find the key to that motivation!

    My dd is in 9th grade. I think SL has helped us make the transition to high school quite well; our 'system' was in place so to speak. I have had trouble trying to figure out how to give grades with SL's history and literature, but the forums have helped. The whole transcript issue has me still trying to figure out how much I need to really do in the record-keeping. I imagine by senior year I'll have it pretty well in place!

    Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Jenn. It is lovely reading your weekly wrapup. I will have to check out those books - they sound good. What curriculum are they from? Sonlight? I'm glad you are all feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, we like those Uncle Eric books, too. Need some for school next year. Cheap!

    I read that post on how to work out when you hate exercise, and that author is so right. I hate it because I am so out of shape! So my first goal is to get stronger and a bit more stamina. Never mind losing weight. For now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great week!
    I did have prime rib.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great week. And glad you hear you are feeling better. I hope the three months speed by for you all. ((hugs))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a good week, especially feeling better. :) Wow, three weeks without your camera, I'll be praying for you. lol I love the picture from your mom's hotel window. Too bad it's all work for them while they are there.

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, love this new background! It's so happy! Is it form Blogger or somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that discipline quote!

    I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

    We're functioning, but dragging; it's not so good for getting things done, but it's great for reading aloud! There's always a positive side to everything, I suppose.

    I hope you find the positive side to your hubby's long three months of overtime.

    (hugs)

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew! I had a lot of catching up to do :)

    Your menu looks wonderful! Homeschooling is going well :)

    I'll be praying for your husband's extra work time. It's so hard :(

    I pray that you will get your camera back soon, too! The graphics you chose were beautiful.

    Have a lovely weekend, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even think about checking the library for the Uncle Eric books. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely quote. Completely understand working overtime w/o pay.DH did that for years.
    Glad your grandma is improving.
    I will have to check out the books you mentioned. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails