Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Nifty Nook



My dearest asked for and received a Barnes and Noble Nook for Christmas.  I've always known that he is smarter than me.  I asked for clothes.  Thankfully, he has graciously shared his nifty little reader.

I have downloaded two books for free so far. I have many more that I want.   I have always wanted to read the many free books online, but we did not have a lap top and I don't like sitting at a desk top to read.  Enter the Nook!  Now, when he is not using it, I am able to put it to good use.

I have to say that at first I thought having a book in hand could not be replaced, so I did not embrace his idea of getting one.  I am a book lover.  I want to be surrounded by books.  But wow, the Nook actually feels good in the hand and the pages look real.  Oh joy!  Free books that don't take up precious book shelves! It is like having unlimited book storage.  Just imagine!  And our library is getting more and more titles online to share too.  It keeps getting better!

Jeff did buy one book, George Bush's new one.  He's going to be asking for Barnes and Noble gift cards for his birthday in January.  That I know for sure! And from now on, I am going to listen to my dearest when he decides he wants a nifty new device. "So, Honey, what do you think of the iPod Touch?"


Follow Up Notes:
Link to Project Gutenberg's free books online.  

We chose the Nook because it is not propitiatory, meaning you don't  have to buy from just B&N. We learned this from our library.  People with Kindles cannot download books from there at this time.

Here's a link from Sally regarding more free books for the Nook.  (Thanks, Sally, I will check it out!)

Yes, JoAnn, if I am dreaming, I probably should go for the iPad, but no chance of that happening, so maybe I will look into getting another used laptop like my son's. But no time soon.  There is curriculum to buy soon.    

9 comments:

  1. Now that Christmas is over I have almost decided that I would like a Nook, oh well, there is always next year. I still have my Christmas and some birthday money but I think I am going to buy a bosch mixer with that. Oh, and I wanted an ipod touch but this wasnt't the year for me to ask for that. I am glad your husband got one so I can see all the neat stuff you do with yours before I break down and get one!
    Signed,
    wants too much!!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not made up my mind on this new thing! I love the feel of the book, being able to mark in it ect. But then again my daughter loe her ipod touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jenn, that is so funny! You sound exactly like me, and your husband is like my son. He so wants an ebook reader, but I keep saying books are better.

    Perhaps I'm wrong. I really like the idea of not needing new bookshelves.

    Happy New Year!

    Annie Kate

    PS I like the grumpy poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say ask for an IPad instead of an Ipod Touch. :) With the Ipad Touch you can download and read books like the Nook, plus it's got all the online features of the IPod touch. I still don't know if I would want a Nook or Kindle, I'm like you, I like actual books. But if I were going to get one, I would get an IPad, I'm way to hooked to the internet. :) lol

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll have to let me know how much you like it. I have a laptop and I really don't enjoy reading on a screen. I think I like to hold, touch and smell a book still.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see this? 130 free downloads for Nook, from B&N. Hope you find something!
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/category.asp?PID=37049

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you got such a nice gift, well your hubby got it, LOL.
    I have never even heard of such a thing, but it sounds like something I would LOVE. I have never even seen or heard of the one JoAnn talked about it either.
    We are so out of touch with latest in our home and life, not because we choose, but because of our budget. But now reading this post, WOW! I can take a book anywhere and not worry about it getting wet or torn.
    I had heard of the free e-book sites you mentioned, and like you I don't care to read it on my PC.
    Thanks for sharing this treasure with us.
    (((hugs))
    katia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat O ! I have to admit b/c I am such a slow reader that I will just budget my books still. *grin* But if you are a avid reader and can't keep up with buying books and the pocket book. This would be a good thing.

    Thanks for sharing it was a fun read. [0=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so glad you have one in the house!!! What fun! Our oldest has a Kindle and I have put school books on there and he has downloaded books of interest. He has over 650 titles on there now, lol. He gets them from Amazon, Gutenberg, and one other site I can *never* remember the name of. I hope you enjoy "yours" as much as he does, lol! I'm a-thinkin' we'll be getting youngest one for his birthday this March. Fun, fun, fun! :)
    ~Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails