On the Heart and Mind:
It's been a harder week for this mom. Another cold has made the nights long. However, I am on the mend and am hoping this bug is going to flee. The one thing I am going to do is take some time to work on adding back my walking program or even Wii Fit. I think exercising is just the boost my immunity needs this winter.
On the Home Front:
Have I said before how wonderful my children are? They helped so much this week. Chores were done with happy hearts, mostly. The only area that got backed up a little is laundry. It will be caught up today. We had friends stop by yesterday, so the whole house was tidy and bathrooms cleaned before they arrived. Have to love the "rush" one gets when company is coming!
Learning and Life:
This has been a shorter week with taking time off Monday to see Casting Crowns and taking today off so that the teacher can rest a little. It's all good because this is the beauty of home education! We shall make up these days this winter when Daddy is working long, long hours at the tax office.
We finished up a great book this week, Mission to Cathay. If you are looking for an interesting book to read aloud about how the real Father Ricci was able to establish his mission work in China, this is the book for you! Perhaps you did not know that missionaries were sent to China in the 1500's? I didn't. This book is historical fiction in that it tells the story of a little orphan boy befriended by the priest and the adventures and struggles they have setting up the first church in China.
We started a book on Genghis Khan and another book about a little girl growing up in China as an ex-pat in the 1920's, Homesick. We have only read the first chapters of both, but already, I find myself thinking about the books and wishing we were having school today to find out what happens next. Sometimes I will read ahead. I think I just might do that today! (Shh! Don't tell Grace. This makes her mad.)
We are still reading daily selections from 100 Gateway Cities, Our 24 Family Ways (devotions), and All Small Poems.
For our weekly writing assignment, we polished up our last week's assignment and sent a copy off to family for them to read. (At least Ryan did. I still want to send Grace's.)
From Doll School held this past week.
As suggested by our curriculum, we watched an intense movie this week called Seven Years in Tibet. I always liked watching movies in school myself. This movie was a good opportunity to discuss the culture of Tibet. We also discussed how the main character making bad choices can have serious consequences. It was rated PG-13 for tense moments, no romance or bad language. Thankfully we have a remote control and zipped through some of those parts (falling off mountains, World II fighting). Usually I avoid movies that are very dramatic, in favor of 19th century romances, so giving Seven Years in Tibet 3.5 out of 5 stars is high praise for me. If you choose to watch, be sure to keep the remote handy!
In The Kitchen:
Grace made some wonderful cookies this week. They were from a mix we found at Aldi. I am OK with mixes. She was able to follow the directions and needed very little help from me. I made my super easy icing and she put sprinkles on top. Wish I had remembered to take a photo.
Super Easy Glaze Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla ( peppermint or almond extract may be substituted.)
2 T milk
Whisk together in a small bowl . Add coloring if desired. We use this icing on cut outs. It sets up well when dry and then the cookies can be stacked. I like to make 3 batches, leaving one white and the other two red and green.
In My CD Player:
Is the CD from Vision Forum, "What to Expect from a Twelve-Year-Old." The world would have you think that the teen years are to be dreaded. And if that is what you buy into, get ready for some hard years to come! But here in this house, we didn't buy into things like the Terrible Twos, nor will our children be wild teens. This CD is an excellent sermon from Dr. S.M. Davis on this topic. I hope to get more Cd's from VF soon.
I am continuing to read through the Old Testament. I am still in Exodus, plus I read a selected Psalm and Proverb each day.
So there you have it, our week!
~Jenn
If you would like to join us in this meme, just write up your weekly summery, using Mary’s or your own categories. Then hop over to Mary’s blog to link with the Mr. Linky . We'd love to read your Weekly Wrap Up summaries too. This meme is a great way to be encouraged and encourage others in our journey of homeschooling.




Thanks for the tip about a spoonful of honey. I often crave chocolate.
ReplyDeleteI assume that Mission to Cathay is a Sonlight book? We didn't do Core 5, so I guess we missed it.(might do it next year w/ middle son)
And I'll have to look into those CD's from VF. I have a 13yr old & almost 12yr old. VF has such great stuff!
Have a great weekend!
A few years ago a wise older woman in our church gave me the gift of refrigerator dough and tubes of frosting and sprinkles...guess what? I wouldn't have done cookies with my children that year if it hadn't been for that gift. I have learned a bit since then and I really try to make sure I do those important things like spending an afternoon making cookies with the kids instead of whatever I occupied myself with instead of making cookies.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your teacher work day!
Melissax
I left a long comment and it didn't post, ugh!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your teacher work day and have a great weekend.
Sounds like a great week. So glad you are taking time to rest. You need it, get better soon.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing wrong with boxed treats. I think they are great even now, when Sarah can bake from scratch. I still come some in the house for a quick treat.
Hope you have a great weekend. :)
JoAnn
I'm glad that your are feeling better. I loved your "teacher in service" day and hope that is was very productive.
ReplyDeleteMay you have a restful weekend with your family!
Sorry for double comments! I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice quick view of your weekly wrap up. I like to read yours because it's always short and to the point. We loved 7 Years in Tibet. Yes, great movie to use as a moral lesson.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better from that sinus junk that is going around.
(((hugs))
Katia
Wow, how did I miss this, oh, that's right, we were out all day yesterday. Nice book and movie review. I do that too...I get so curious about the kids' books that I have to sneek ahead. I guess that's a sign of a really good book. I'm on a VF kick lately (if you haven't noticed), I got another box yesterday, just in time for being snowed in. I think I'll have to cool the ordering for a while, but I tell Jeff it's my "soul food".
ReplyDeleteHi Jenn, I'm visiting from Mary's weekly wrap-up. It was so nice to read all your comments.
ReplyDeleteWe've heard S.M. Davis' CD (and we heard Norm Wakefield talk on "What's a Mom to do with Teenage Sons?" at our state homeschool convention), and it's excellent.
I can say that--as a mom with boys 21, almost 20, almost 18, and 14--the teens years have been wonderful. Such lively conversations, such interesting personalities. We have been so blessed by our sons! Teenagers are great. :)
Blessings to you,
Christine
I will have to check into those CD's you and Christine mentioned. Any help with boys is a GOOD thing. I am so glad to here about ALL the help your getting and to hear about all the neat things you all are doing. Pray that continues.
ReplyDeleteSending you blessings and ((HUGS))
In Him<><
-Mary
Hi Jenn! I love your "inservice" day...so charming!
ReplyDeleteMy day off will come when my sweet Bryan completes, with me, the last of his homeschool high school assignments! Target date is Dec. 31st...he is in the graduating class of 2010, so that's when he's got to finish, LOL! Glad you had a nice day off, those are so much fun! Gotta love homeschooling :-)
I have that VF CD (What to expect from a 12 yr. old), and it is fantastic. You are wise to ignore such manmade words as "adolescence." We did, and we simply haven't experienced it.
Have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Lori