Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pretty Over the Kitchen Sink



It's a Linky Party hosted by Leila at Like Mother, Like Daughter!  Leila has been teaching us how to have a reasonably clean house for awhile now.  Her recent focus has been on the kitchen.  The assignment at hand is to make your kitchen sink area pretty.

The above photo is my after picture.  Here is the before.  Not too much has changed, just put away some of the clutter.

But, what a difference it makes!  My only concern is that I really do need those items.  And I don't have a lot of cabinet space, as this is a 1960's tiny kitchen.  I like my dish drainer for drying those plastic things that won't get dry in the dish washer.  Maybe it is laziness?  I could hand dry them.  Or better yet, assign that job to a child.  It does become an unsightly mess...  *sigh*


The basket of dish clothes in the corner is going to move out this weekend.  This assignment inspired me to once again ask my darling to caulk around the sink so that we could use the two drawers.  I have not used them as water leaks in and it is a mess.  I really need those drawers, so the caulking has been done.  I now just need to wait for it to dry.  *smile*

My window decor is pretty simple, but pretty to me.  The lovely crochet bird that hangs in my window is a gift from a bloggy friend.

The Bluebird of Happiness is a gift from my grandmother and makes me smile.  The little plastic square is from my daughter.  She said it is my sunshine, as this window faces north.  The cross is another gift from Him.


I really liked Leila's idea about not having the soap container out in the open, so I hunted in my stash and found this one. It is not a match for the colors in the kitchen, but it is better than that soap container!  Maybe I will find a red one at a thrift store one of these days.
My kitchen is old and outdated and not so big, but I don't let that worry me.  It would be useless to fret about such things.  I like being debt free more than having a fancy kitchen.  I would like to make some curtains this coming summer when I will have more time.  Until then, I will enjoy the less cluttered look and look forward to what Leila writes about next.  Thank you, Leila!

13 comments:

  1. Jenn, I like your attitude!
    Your spot looks well cared for -- thanks for sharing!
    I too have very little counter space, and found it useful to get the paper towels hanging under the cabinet.
    Also, I think there's no shame in having the dish drainer out if it helps you -- I'm not for extra steps, believe me! As long as it's clean and truly useful to you, then I say leave it where it is!

    Love your decorations! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been busy posting Jenn, much to catch up on. I like your kitchen...it has charm. I love the scallop cornis (sp?) above the sink. I'm with you, I always have my dish drain in the other sink...dishes are a never ending job, and I don't put everything in the dishwasher, but leave about a third of a sink of water throughout the day to wash a dish & there as they come along. Plus I don't think I would have room under the sink to put it as the trash can is there and so are all the cleaning supplies. A very nice showing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coveting your stainless steel sink!
    It all looks so clean and neat...not outdated at all to me! We too have very little storage space. It can be quite frustrating and things tend to stack up on the counter.
    Great job :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very pretty! I like the dish drainer out on the counter and ready for use, more than I care about clutter though.:)
    I am glad that caulking around your sink is done and you can use the drawers now. Your tiny kitchen looks so nice! I like the view outside the window, too. If you had curtains, you may miss a robin flying by.:)
    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, Jenn. I have been following Leila, too, but I'm hopeless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jenn,
    I think your kitchen is beautiful! I love the crocheted bird too.
    Once an older more wise person said to me "Katia your home should look like as if someone lives in it, not like a magazine cover that no one lives in it" I personally don't mind the dish drainer, it's something you need in your evryday kitchen, for it's part of your life :)
    ((hugs))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your space! I leave my drainer out for the same reason. I did find a cute dispenser for the dish soap and hand soap. I also keep lotion at the sink as we are now washing dishes by hand and I need the lotion!
    Love the blue bird! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recognize you!! Your kitchen is beautiful and so is your loving outlook and inspiring post.

    I keep my dish drainer out, too!

    Linking up from Like Mother, Like Daughter.

    Have a lovely week, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks great. I love what each piece by the window means. I think it's all so pretty. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh what a clutter free, clean and spacious kitchen. It must be a joy to cook in. I have a confession to make I not only have one dish drain but I have two. I don't have a dish washer so that has been my answer. *smile* I will have to go check Leila's post out. I have been thinking a lot about how I want to make my kitchen look prettier. Thank you for being a inspiration. ((hugs))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pictures. Stainless steel sinks are some of the most popular types of kitchen sinks on the market today. Thanks a lot.

    Stainless Steel Sink

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was lucky to find your jenn4him.blogspot.com site. You truly can write and teach and inspire. Keep writing - I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails