On the Heart and Mind:
As I write this, my heart swells with the excitement of discovering that more than a few of my most favorite blogging friends have decided to move their blogs to Blogger. With that said, as I look back over this past week, my heart and mind are at peace. The peace that comes from knowing Him. I am also thankful for all the ways my friends touched my life and for time spent with family this week. Most recently, My mom and I spent this afternoon with our precious grandma/mother while my family went sledding. I have to say that it was a very special time, loving on my sweet grandma.
On the Home Front:
This week, as I wrote earlier, I put some effort into making our afternoon routine work better. I am hoping this week goes as well. There are a few more distractions coming, so I hope I can cope. My plan is to stay off the computer in the mornings. So, if I don't get around to say hello in the morning, I will be by in the afternoon. :-)
Another exciting happening was our first real snow, yesterday. Four whole inches fell! The kids went sledding yesterday and today at two different local sledding hills. We are blessed to have such opportunities near and a daddy who likes to sled. I don't go because I don't have any snow pants at the moment. And our highs today were in the 20's and no sun! These pictures of the kids were from today, taken by Daddy with his phone. The sledders had melted a lot of the snow, but there was plenty for sledding. Just not enough for impressive snow photos! (Sorry Shani!)
Learning and Life:
We came to the end of our struggle with one subject, 5th grade science. I am going to go ahead and buy Grace Abeka’s science for next semester. At least I hope this ends our struggle. The curriculum we borrowed for this semester was just not working with her learning style. I use Abeka for Trevor’s 3rd grade studies and I really like how it is working for him. So, I will go ahead and order her the 5th grade package this week. Trevor can use the non-consumables when he is in 5th grade, so it is also an economical move.
My Craft Corner:
I left this header even though my craft corner doesn’t exist for me this time of the year. Sadly, I had to pack up my sewing machine to make room for a big chest of drawers so that we could store homeschool supplies in a more handy location. The sewing machine will come back out in the summer. And as far as other crafts, I am a failure. It’s really OK. I am a realist. I am handier in the kitchen.
In The Kitchen:
Fudge was the star of the week! I taught Grace how to make a simple chocolate fudge. I am going to play with the recipe soon. I plan to make it as stated below, but I will stir in some peanut butter chips just before I pour the mixture into the pan. I also want to make some plain peanut butter fudge before Christmas Eve. Does anyone have a recipe that is easy? I mean really easy.
1-2-3 Fudge
1-12oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
3cups chocolate chips (1pkg. & 1 cup)
2 teaspoons of vanilla
½ cup chopped nuts* (optional)
Add ingredients to a sauce pan. Melt & stir continually over low heat. Pour into a buttered 8x8 pan. Cover and cool. Enjoy!
On My Night Stand:
- I attempted to read Anne of Green Gables again for fun this week. I did not get too far. I was looking for a light read before bed at the time. As the week went on, I was so tired that I did not want to read before bed.
- I am reading through the Old Testament as well. I am only in Exodus.
And with that, you have a look at my life last week. If you would like to join me and others in this meme, just write up your weekly summery, using Mary's or your own catogories. Then hop over to Mary’s blog to link with the Mr. Linky. Others would love to read your Weekly Wrap Up summaries too. This meme is a great way to be encouraged and encourage others in our journey of homeschooling.







Great photos! Wow and from a cell phone too.. I had to admit defeat with sewing also... I have mine up for sale.. HA HA HA
ReplyDeleteMy sewing machine is not too far, just in the garage. I want to see if I can take it out of the huge sewing table and use it on a table top. I just can't have another piece of furniture in this house! All that to say, I am not giving up on sewing, yet.
ReplyDeleteJenn
WOW Jenn, look at you! I like your new place. Did you do all this by yourself? I"ve started a new blog too, but that's about it. I haven't got it operational yet. So glad to see your Accuweather widget back. Glad you changed your link on my cbox to your new home.
ReplyDeleteFun to see your kiddos playing in the snow & Gma sure looks happy. I'm sure she is so blessed to have you and your mom there.
I have a great fudge recipe, but I don't know how easy it is, I'll have to check the recipe. I know it has marshmallow cream in it. Very rich.
Thanks for being such a good friend. YOU ARE a Blessing!
Isn't that first snow of the season fun? It looks so pretty and clean...we really enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had that sweet day with your mom, it is precious to have them, isn't it?
I love fudge...but I've never made it, I just like to eat it. Hmmmmm.
Blessings,
Lori
Sounds like a wonderful week! Anne of Green Gables is probably my all time favorite book.
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice to be able to leave comments :) so easily.
I am glad you had a good visit with your grandmother! And snow, how exciting. If you like orange stuff you and Grace should try my orange fudge, if interested I can send you the recipe.
ReplyDeleteAm I going to have to move over here too? I actually have blog over here for my links that I haven't used in a very long time.I will have to think about it.
I read this and got a little twinge of remorse that I'm not being diligent at ALL in the running of my home. You are doing so well; tweaking and making things work better. Keep it up. :)
ReplyDeleteThe snow photos are lovely - grass notwithstanding, lol.
Your grandmother looks so happy to have you there; what a good granddaughter you are, and how blessed you are to live so close to her. Mine is 8 hours away. :(
Have a lovely week, my friend!!!
love,
Shani xxx
Lovely wrap-up, Jenn! So sad about the sewing machine, but I knw just what you mean. Can't move mine out just yet -- I need it for a few current projects (and a big pile of mending/altering). In fact, I don't think I'll ever be able to move it out.
ReplyDeleteFor simple recipes I always go to allrecipes.com and look for one that has five stars and 1389 reviews. Works every time. :)
Have a wonderful week!
It looks and sounds like a great week. So glad you enjoyed your first snow. Looks like the kids had a blast. I'll have to start looking for a peanut butter fudge recipe too. Though I think I'm going to make my homemade peanut butter cups soon. they are a hit around here.
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
It's amazing that after I talked to Lori I just felt at peace with moving my blog. Then I have heard you and some others say the same thing, neat.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you had a good visit with your grandma. Please give your mom a ((hug)) for me. Does she blog at blogger. If she does please let me know so I can visit her. I miss Mama Karen.
I pray that the science switch is a blessing. And I know what you mean about seasons for projects. One reason I have really like knitting is b/c how easy it is to store. I need to show another project I did a bit ago. Very storable indeed. I need to show this week.
I LOVED Anne of Green Gables. I didn't discover those books till I was 19yo and then I met my Canadian sweetie and moved up to Canada. I don't know if you know that the author Lucy Maud Montgemery was Canadian. *grin*
Blessings and ((HUGS))
In Him<><
-Mary
Yummy fudge.
ReplyDeleteWe loved Abeka science and still do. it did get a little harder around grade 7, but then it's OK again.
Wow, so you are moving over and so are others. Great!!!!