Friday, December 3, 2010

Cooperation is a Beautiful Thing

The view from my front door one morning this week. 

This has been just a lovely week.  The simple, ordinary things have filled most of my time.  From those things I draw great contentment. 

One of my goals this week was to work a little harder at keeping the house tidy each afternoon as a team.  It is easy to fall into the habit of letting things go, especially when no one is coming over and we are busy with school!  I've mentioned before how my afternoons seem to hit a wall and my drive to be diligent becomes nonexistent.  Well, not this week.  I was not going to live that way anymore.  Each afternoon, I assigned myself and the kids a chore.  One small chore to do that would make a difference with us all cooperating.  After our chores were done, we were free until it was time to make dinner.  Honestly, the chores did not take us all that long, either. 

On Monday, we all attacked the clutter that had collected over the weekend.  I also cleaned the kitchen and attempted to begin my assault on Mt. Washmore.  Oh, that mountain of dirty clothes was horrendous!  My oldest son vacuumed the living areas. The other two worked on their rooms, which had fallen into a state of untidiness that was unexceptable.   

Tuesday, I cleaned the bathrooms and my helpers did my bidding.  Plus, Mt. Washmore took a huge hit.  I was home all day making sure the loads were washed, dried, hung or folded.  My Mr.Wonderful, put the clothes away for us.  (Thanks, Darling!) 

Wednesday, I put my efforts upstairs in the Master, sweeping, dusting, putting away.  The kids were completely distracted by the first snow.  I worked hard keeping their in-and-out mess managed .  Boots, gloves, hats, snow pants, jackets, and water littered the entry way each time one would come inside! 

Thursday, found us with nothing but laundry to attack.  How did I get full laundry bins again?  Although this was not a chore attacked with dread, it did keep me busy in between lessons. Everything was either hung or folded by the end of the afternoon.  It did not get put away.  That will happen today. 

Two observations I made this week.  One is that I am most energetic in the mornings.  I can get more done in the hours before school than after.  Perhaps I need to focus more of my time on the house in the mornings and less on the computer.  (Ouch!)  Second, we really need to have a time or two each day that we stop and tidy up.  I think right after lessons are done and then right before bed would be great.  This did not happen each day this week.  I will be working on remembering this coming week.  I know it sounds simple and very obvious, but,  most times we get in a hurry to move on before we take time to pick up.  It's a bad habit.  Bad habits can be broken. 

Cooperating is essential.  We can get more done together and I am less frustrated when we are all working  in the same area or at the same time.  Now, I just need to keep this up for a few more weeks and make it a habit.  This is where I will be tested.  Follow through is difficult.  I am worn down in the afternoons.  The kids are distracted.  It is easier to give up.  But the easy way is not working, so it is time to do something different. 

~Jenn




12 comments:

  1. Stunning shot! WOW!!!!!
    Yes, I am a lot better in the morning, I get a lot done, but I am with you, my computer time has to cut off in order for that to happen.
    (((hugs)))
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. We have always tried to teach our kids "clean up as you go". But like you, it doesn't always work. So glad you had such a good week. And that picture is soooo pretty. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand - you and I are more alike than we knew. My best, most optimal time for productivity is first thing in the morning. I've even been known to get in the habit of taking a shower the night before so I can just get up, get dressed, and get moving. Most days lately if I can stay away from the computer in the morning I get tons done, but then I find that I'm so busy getting things done that I don't feel like getting on it at all during the day. Hm. Must find that balance.

    Sounds like you're on track to finding a good balance for you and yours - keep it up! :)

    Warmly,
    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I pray many blessings on your habits to be. I think you have some wonderful insights and I pray that you will have the stamina and dedication to continue in it. You got me thinking and I need to also think about when to do the chunk of my chores. The sad thing is if I don't blog in the morning I don't have much time otherwise. I got my laptop back and it is working but my other computer is not. ((sigh)) So I am back to sharing my laptop, lol.

    I LOVED your pic and it shows such promise.

    Praying blessings on you and your kin my SSiC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've had a productive week. I have the same problems - if I don't stay on a schedule of keeping things up, they soon get away from me and we are living in squalor! I've learned alot about it this year as I took a Bible study during the summer all about taking care of my home. So many things were obvious - but not to me!! I had to be taught! LOL
    Have a wonderful weekend!- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sunrise is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

    I hit a wall in the afternoon too.
    Yes, it is easier to work as a team with the children. Can you train your children to do their own laundry?? That will lessen your burden on Mt. Washmore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful week and no more writer's block..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that I am done reading this. i am off to clean my neglected kitchen and bedroom. I was too busy this morning to do anything. Hmm.. maybe I will take a nap after too. I still feel kinda icky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful picture to see first thing in the morning! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo!

    Yes, getting to work first thing can make such a difference. I still prefer being on the computer early in the morning, and then staying off all day until the afternoon lazy hour arrives.

    But this morning HSB wasn't up, and I did get a fair bit done. When I was ill last year, I had to pace myself; now it seems I can go for longer without sitting down, so maybe it's time to cut back on computer time.

    It will be a hard decision, but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    Have a blessed Lord's Day.

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I replied to your comment on my blog, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciated it.

    You see, I'd never realized that it does take training and reminders to look on the bright side of things, and I think that’s part of being grateful…which is a command. So I'd better focus on training my children this way, too.

    Thanks, Jenn!

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is definitely the way for me to go too - getting started early. I find that once the lessons are done for the day - I'm done too! When I get up and at it early, and get eg laundry done in the morning before 'school' even begins, the whole day runs more smoothly. We had a 'right - let's get back to our official routine' talk this morning! I have the chore list written, but we'd really let it slip over the past few weeks. We end up sitting down in the evening in an untidy family room. Yuck! I hate that! It's hard to really chill out when you're sitting in amongst a mountain of clutter. Hopefully, our routine will be re-established and *some* semblance of order will be maintained!
    Oh - first time I visited, so a quick intro: I'm Anne, from the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. A Christian, homeschooling mum of four; wife of 19 years and...er, that's about it! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails