Friday, December 24, 2010
Visiting Grandma
We quickly stop at a fast food restaurant before we arrive, knowing she loves the big chicken strips. Our arms are bringing in loads of goodies. The receptionist opens the door for us. "Is this all for Lucille?"she says. "It's a party," I reply. When I was little, she did it for me. She was always kind and loving. She did not have a lot in material possessions to share. She shared her heart.
Now she is old, alone and her memory is failing her. She did not know who the kids were until I came into the room. She kept saying she was sorry for not knowing who they were. "It's OK, Grandma. It's OK."
We share our simple lunch, watch a couple episodes of Little House on the Prairie. I bring out the Christmas cookies. "Oh, they are too pretty to eat," she says. But she does eat them eventually. She tosses aside her chicken for the cookies. She always does this. My sweet grandma is amazing. How has she made it this long on her sweet tooth?
It's a wonderful visit. She starts out a little confused, but as the afternoon comes, she is mentally sharper. She remembers things my mom told her during her last visit. We've laughed. We've eaten too many cookies. We've taken pictures. We've looked at old greeting cards she keeps in a big basket. And it is time to go, again. But, next week we are coming again and my cousin will be there with her two kids. We will surround grandma with love and hope she knows how much we love her. It is a privilege to do so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



How wonderful that you have your Grandma to visit and how wonderful that your children have a great grandma still. I know your grandma enjoys these visits.
ReplyDeleteOh Jenn, thanks for this! I miss my Grandma so much sometimes. You see I lived with her while I was in highschool. She died fourteen years ago Christmas Eve. She was such a blessing.
ReplyDeleteAnd also you're teaching your kids to not forgot those that are so easily forgotten!
Blessings and Merry Christmas to you! Julie
Oh that was sweet Jenn, it brought tears to my eyes. Now I can't see the screen. :) What a special day. And it looks like you have found the secret to keeping a sharp memory...COOKIES. What a wonderful way to honor your Grandma. Such sweet photos.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you still have your grandma, Jenn. Praise the Lord!
ReplyDeleteHave a merry Christmas, dear friend.
(((hugs))
Katia
I just happened upon your blog, and just loved your post about visiting with your grandmother. My husband and oldest son just went to bring my mom, 85 yrs, down to spend Christmas with us. What a blessing to have her here and still able to make memories with all of us. God bless you for taking such sweet care of your grandma.
ReplyDeleteHow sweet. It brings tears to my eyes to read and see how much you all love her. So glad you could have time to visit her. What a wonderful way to start your Christmas events this weekend. :)
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Precious, precious memories made in those special visits! We get to see my "Nana" this weekend and it is such a treasure to still have her around.
ReplyDeleteBlessings this Christmas! I have to run and start preparing for our Journey to Bethlehem dinner.
~Tamara
What a blessing for all of you that you can share times like this!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your Christmas was so happy.
Enjoy these good times!
Blessings,
Annie Kate