Monday, December 27, 2010
Brace Yourself
There is just something about the coming of a new year that makes you want to try again at the things your failed at the year before. I can't help myself from thinking about it all. Maybe it comes as the result of the dull ache in my tummy from too many cookies this weekend. My brain is saying,"Enough is enough!"
A couple weeks ago, for our family after dinner read aloud, we started reading Sean Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. My husband has read a couple of the other "highly effective" books and found them to be very helpful. While we appreciate Mr. Covey's wisdom, we began this book with a discussion about how the Bible is the ultimate "effective living" book. We find lots of opportunities to interject biblical principals.
All this to say, I am getting a lot out of this book. It has made me take a long at myself . It has encouraged me to be brave and face some short comings. I am beginning with the end in mind and doing first things first! Here is a great quote I re-read just this morning.
"The real tragedy is the tragedy of the man who never in his life braces himself for his one supreme effort - he never stretches to his full capacity, never stands up to his full stature."
Arnold Bennett
By the grace of God, I pray that I can brace myself for the supreme effort it will be to overcome my unproductive habits. With His help, the Bible says I can do all things. I am praying for the strength of character I will need in order to live a more God honoring, God pleasing life.
Are you making any plans for the new year?
~Jenn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post, Jenn. Yes, I do have a list of things I really wish to do come 2011.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad we will not have any more snow this week.
Have a wonderful day, and may the Lord bless your efforts today and the New Year.
(((hugs))
Katia
Oh dear, my list is always the same, year after year, but then again, most of it is not something that one accomplishes in just one year, but granted, I really didn't progress on them much the last couple of years. With God's help, I'll try again in 2011. Hospitality is something I'm making a priority this year, which that I think I will accomplish. On the down side, I think I only lost 3 lbs. this year and kept them off...I think I can do better than that, lol. At least I didn't gain.
ReplyDeleteWe have a Covey book here at home that my Jeff was given at a seminar at work. Jeff said it was good, but I agree, the best source for true success is the BIBLE...Bible memorization, obedience to Him...tithing...those thing gain great rewards both in this life and in the life to come.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteTruthfully I haven't a clue if we are doing anything this year for New Years Eve. We usually get together with friends, but not sure that will happen this year. We might just ring it in ourselves. :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't started any new books, though I did get a really cool bible study book that I love looking through. Glad you like your book. :)
JoAnn
I haven't made it to thinking about the new year yet!
ReplyDeleteOH, Jenn,I ate enough cookies and fudge for you, me and two other people and I am feeling it today!
ReplyDeleteSo, can you tell me why a cbox would be a good thing?
It sounds like this book stretches the mind. To reach one's potential, planned by God, is an awesome goal. Well worth the effort.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Awesome post! And yes I have a list... a reverse list. I began making a list of things that did not go well. My goal is not to repeat that but at the same time if it did not go well because of something I need to change then I am up for that. Most of all less of me and more of the Lord.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week.
Wonderful post and something I've been pondering for the past couple of weeks. I'm preparing to set my goals for the new year, too, and take a long hard look at myself. With God's help, strength and wisdom, I pray that I can grow closer to Him and make some positive changes.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you - Julie
Yes, the Bible is the basis of it all, absolutely foundational.
ReplyDeleteI'm not certain about my new year's goals yet, what they will be, or even if there will be any.
There's so much to think about!
Enjoy the Covey book. He's very thought-provoking.
Annie Kate