Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Making a Family Home

Browsing through the new books at the library, my eye was caught by the title, Making a Family Home by Shannon Honeybloom.  At first glance I thought it was a decorating book.  Digging deeper, I found it to be just the opposite.  Mrs. Honeybloom offers good insights into making a home work for you and your family while maintaining order, peace, and safety with simplicity, modesty, and joy. She visits each area of a home and offers her thoughts on making the area pleasant and functional.  Now, as is usual, there are some things I needed to overlook, like some references to world views I do not hold.  All in all, it is a good book, a quick read, and if your library has it, I'd be sure to take a look.  You just might be inspired too.

Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the book: 

"I found that paying attention to my home was (and is) a way to ground myself in the center of all the information and noise of my life. Home is the place that forms the basis for a child's future. Home is the place where children are introduced to the world. Home can help children thrive and unfold and gather courage to meet their future."  (pg. 10)

"Having grown up during the depression, my grandmother, had the habit of not buying many things and fixing her things when they broke.  Her home was spotless and uncluttered.  Each item was carefully cleaned, place, considered."  (pg. 12)

I pray all my US friends have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with your dear ones.  We will be hosting this year as the baton has been passed to my generation.  I will be honored to provide this to my family.  It's going to be a hard year without my grandparents here, a first. 
~Jenn

4 comments:

  1. Hi honey,
    What great insight one can glean from this book! Sifting the wheat from the fodder, and then capturing her wonderful ways in which to make a house a home is inspirational.My grandmother was so poor, but not in spirit. Her Lord kept her going, and her barren home was spotless. I loved being with her!
    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very good book, I'll have to look for it. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great book- I have money on Amazon....maybe I'll get it

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails