Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How to Survive on One Income



The amusing answer would be to make sure that one income is really BIG!  However, for most of us surviving on one income, the real world doesn't work like that.

When we jumped off the two income bandwagon, we had no clue how to manage money, even with one of us being a CPA.  Looking back, we would have been so much better off if we started living as if we had one income from the start before kids.

We made some errors along the way, too. We thought we could get the bigger house, nicer van, weekly trips to stuff mart, a yearly trip away too.  All that led up to was being in deep debt.  Four years later, all that debt is paid for.  It was the hard way that has taught us a thing or two!

I am happy to be debt free, but at the same time it is no picnic.  Without sounding like too much of a complainer, I am always feeling as if I need something that I can't have.  I feel poor.  I know this is not a true fact.  I am certainly blessed.  We have two vehicles in working order. We are healthy.  We have food in the pantry.  We still take trips, but ones we can save for.  I must combat those lies with truth at all times.

My wise husband always says it is not how much money you make, but how much you spend.  (Maybe he got that from Dave Ramsey?)  Keeping our spending in line is a full time effort.  I make lists of things I think we need and try to prioritize them.  I pray over these lists.  Sometimes it takes a long time to mark an item off.  Recently we were able to buy tires, a battery and brake pads for the van.  The next biggest item on my list is dental care for the whole family.  My prescription sunglasses broke on our anniversary trip.  I need clothes!  The kids need clothes and will need shoes soon.  And Christmas is coming.  I dread Christmas.

So, how does one survive on one humble income?  It takes prayer, sacrifice and a hatred of debt!  It takes courage, too.  Lots of courage!

4 comments:

  1. AMEN sister... AMEN... its doing an about face and going in the opposite direction that the world would have us to believe is the way... Look at our nation... and the debt its in... we used to understand and respect the dollar amount we had in our pockets but since we turned to a society of credit and plastic cards to do the billing it has led us into alot of trouble as individuals and as a nation... I am so proud of you guys for getting debt free... how awesome is that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are all doing great. I find the biggest obstacle for living on one income is our attitudes. We can make through just about anything, if our attitudes are ok, and our faith is focused on the Lord. But sadly, I usually start looking more at what I 'want' than what the Lord has already blessed me with, that's when things start to spiral for me.
    Always remember the Lord loves you and your children more than you do. He will take care of them, clothes, shoes and all. No matter how that turns out to be. It's different for each family, but He does always take care of us. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first married, I found out that I had married Mr. Frugal himself...really. He used to brag that he could have lived w/o electricity before we married. It was hard and there was even marital counseling involved. But we've found a balance and budget is no longer a dirty word in our household. Strangely, I've become so much more like him and have even discouraged some of his desired purchases, bwahahaha :-). But to be honest I find I enjoy stretching our dollars. We go to the library and check out videos for free, we go to auctions for farm equipment, and buy most of our furniture and clothes at second hand stores or consignment shops. I even consign clothes at one of the children's stores that I shop at. It's always fun to walk in and hear that I've made some money :-)! No, we don't have a lot of material luxuries and really we don't desire or feel like we're missing out. If I could have more of anything, I think it would be time. Seems there's never enough of that (sigh).
    But all that to say, congratulations! It is really freeing to know that you are under no one's thumb. And in this day and time that's saying A LOT!
    Blessings to you and yours and remember God provides, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I've been spending waaaaay too much lately. October, for some reason, is such a hard month. I'm still broke from September (paying for everything that starts back up), and then it's inspection month for the car. And the season is changing, and while we get so many hand-me-downs, there's always a hole. Ugh. I honestly have never ever prayed over my budget. But I will start.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails